Projectile Motion, Shooting a Ball in Zero Gravity.

In summary, the problem at hand is shooting a ball in zero gravity, specifically in a lacrosse game. The initial velocity of the shot is given at 96 miles per hour and the distance to the goal is 15 yards. The question is how long it will take for the ball to reach the goal. The equation used for this calculation is d = vit + 1/2gt2, but in zero gravity, the object will not fall and will travel at a constant velocity until it reaches the goal. There seems to be a discrepancy in the given initial velocity, as it would exceed the speed of light. Further clarification is needed to accurately solve this problem.
laxstud120
Projectile Motion, Shooting a Ball in Zero Gravity. URGENT!

So I had to come up with my own problem for class, but this is going to be in zero gravity. I chose lacrosse.

Homework Statement

Chris Fiore does a split dodge with the help of a pick and gets his hands free for a sidearm shot from 15 yards. He is so good that when he shoots, the ball always travels in a 2D path! The initial velocity of the shot is 96mi/h (Chris Fiore is one of the fastest shooters in lacrosse). How long does it take until it hits the goal?

Homework Equations

Conversions:
15yd (0.91m) = 13.72m
96mi/h(1609.34m)(3600s) = 5.56x108m/s

d = vit + 1/2gt2

The Attempt at a Solution

If this is how it is calculated on Earth...
d = vit + 1/2gt2
13.72 = (5.56x108)t + 0.5(-9.81) t2
-4.91t2 + 5.56x108x -13.72 = 0
t = 2.47s

What the hell happens if the gravity is zero? I can't just put in 0 instead of -9.81 can I? From what I recall the whole formula doesn't even work if its not on earth! The ball would go insanely fast! Need some clarification on this. How would I go about calculating this? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Without the gravity field, you object will not fall. It will simply travel at constant velocity (neglecting the air friction) until it hits the goal!

Are you sure about that 5.56x10^8m/s speed of the ball? This Chris Fiore guy must have one hell of an arm to be able to shoot that ball faster than the speed of light!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown, launched, or shot through the air. It follows a curved path due to the combination of its horizontal and vertical velocities.

2. How is the trajectory of a ball affected by zero gravity?

In zero gravity, there is no force acting on the ball to pull it down, so it will continue moving in a straight line with a constant velocity. This means that the trajectory of the ball will be a straight line instead of a curved path.

3. How does the initial velocity affect the motion of a projectile in zero gravity?

The initial velocity, or the speed at which the ball is launched, will determine the speed and direction of the ball's motion in zero gravity. A higher initial velocity will result in a faster and farther straight-line trajectory, while a lower initial velocity will result in a slower and shorter trajectory.

4. What factors affect the distance a ball can travel in zero gravity?

The distance a ball can travel in zero gravity is affected by the initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and any external forces such as air resistance. In a vacuum, the ball will travel the farthest with a high initial velocity and a launch angle of 45 degrees.

5. Can a ball continue to move indefinitely in zero gravity?

In theory, yes, a ball can continue to move indefinitely in zero gravity if there are no external forces acting on it to slow it down or change its direction. However, in reality, there will always be some external forces present, such as the gravitational pull of other objects, that will eventually cause the ball to change its trajectory or come to a stop.