Moscow Subway bombings kill 35+ civilians

• News
  • Thread starter MotoH
  • Start date
In summary: So it doesn't seem like the explosion stopped the trains from operating. It's possible that the bombers were not able to detonate their explosives.
MotoH
At least 38 people were killed and more than 60 injured in two suicide bomb attacks on the Moscow Metro during the morning rush hour, officials say.

Female suicide bombers are believed to have carried out the attacks on trains that had stopped at two stations in the heart of the Russian capital.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for being behind the attacks. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8592190.stm"

I sincerely home the Chechen rebels get crushed with the full might of mother Russia. Religion of peace and prosperity my @@@.

RIP to the fallen civilians in this horrible attack by soulless animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I liked the way both Putin and Dmitry said "We will find and destroy them all." I don't know if it is the translation or they just said that way: very direct, clear, blunt and strong response.

Lol, love how you continue the soulless animal less than human tidbit. :rofl:

But yeah I just saw this on the news. Actually it's still on as I'm typing this, they are showing armed military and police forces in American subways as a precaution pressumably.

It's always sad when these events happen but I highly doubt in my lifetime they will come to an end.

One sad thing about these events is that those of us who just live their peaceful lives at home don't actually register what's going on at all. We see normally censored images on the News and read about x amount of deaths. I've changed this perspective after seeing leaked images of various events that were editted when they went on the News. It made these types of situations much more tragic IMO.

For instance in this case 35+ civilians dead in Moscow subway bombing. You see images on the news of the wreckage and some armed guards walking around. You think 'oh my god that's so sad...' next up on the TV is a Doritos commercial, maybe you're still thinking about those horrible terrorist and how sad the event is but it's not TRULY registering that those individual people are truly dead from that explosion.

I agree with you though that I hope KARMA comes full circle a butt rapes these rebels, each one, 1000x more viciously than the attrocities they've committed.

zomgwtf said:
I agree with you though that I hope KARMA comes full circle a butt rapes these rebels, each one, 1000x more viciously than the atrocities they've committed.

How about Russian atrocities in Chechnya? :biggrin:

Russia needs to let Chechnya go so they can control the border better. Right now Chechnya terrorists have free rein in the country.

MotoH said:
I sincerely home the Chechen rebels get crushed with the full might of mother Russia. Religion of peace and prosperity my @@@.

RIP to the fallen civilians in this horrible attack by soulless animals.

Right, because 'mother Russia' has historically been nice to its boarder nations (and it's own citizens, for that matter) :rolleyes:. Google: Gulag.

MotoH said:
I sincerely home the Chechen rebels get crushed with the full might of mother Russia.
Alternatively they could just invade some random 3rd country that has oil.

rootX said:
I liked the way both Putin and Dmitry said "We will find and destroy them all." I don't know if it is the translation or they just said that way: very direct, clear, blunt and strong response.

I'm cool with that. They should be crushed like (yummy) Doritos.

rootX said:
How about Russian atrocities in Chechnya? :biggrin:

Well, one group is going to get butt raped pretty hardcore with a good dose of KARMA. :wink: as of right now I think it shuold be the rebels that receive this dosage of karma rape. We'll have to see how Russia responds now won't we?

Cyrus said:
Right, because 'mother Russia' has historically been nice to its boarder nations (and it's own citizens, for that matter) :rolleyes:. Google: Gulag.

Because this is still Soviet Russia we are talking about here. /sigh.

zomgwtf said:
Well, one group is going to get butt raped pretty hardcore with a good dose of KARMA. :wink:
Yes, a lot of Chechen women and children. Unless of course we supply the Russians with some of those smart bombs that only hit committed terrorists, use whatever depleted uranium isotope only poisons soldiers, and mount the first effective humanitarian aid program during a war.

MotoH said:
Because this is still Soviet Russia we are talking about here. /sigh.

Let's make thoughtful posts, mkay? Thanks, champ. :wink:

Cyrus said:
Let's make thoughtful posts, mkay? Thanks, champ. :wink:

How does something that a corrupt government did have anything to do with a terror attack on innocent civilians? Keep the thread on topic.Right after the second blast, the main thought was that it was an AQ operation because most of the AQ suicide bombings are multiple attacks, and the Chechens have mostly been single attacks.

A sad day indeed.

Edit:

From some Russians I have heard that the trains were up and running within 2 hours. Good way to show that a terrorist attack will not throw them into a frenzy.

MotoH said:
How does something that a corrupt government did have anything to do with a terror attack on innocent civilians? Keep the thread on topic.

Right after the second blast, the main thought was that it was an AQ operation because most of the AQ suicide bombings are multiple attacks, and the Chechens have mostly been single attacks.

A sad day indeed.

The point is that, the Russians have not been nice to the Chechens. Stop being myopic with your 'mother Russia' will teach them a lesson rhetoric: it's nonsense.

Cyrus said:
The point is that, the Russians have not been nice to the Chechens. Stop being myopic with your 'mother Russia' will teach them a lesson rhetoric: it's nonsense.

And the Chechens haven't been nice to the Russians. The thing is, is that the Chechens are a rebel force, and subsequently are not fighting as a standing army. If the two were to leave each other alone, we wouldn't have a problem (obviously) But as of lately, every time things start to cool down a fraction of a degree, the Chechens start it up again.

MotoH said:
And the Chechens haven't been nice to the Russians. The thing is, is that the Chechens are a rebel force, and subsequently are not fighting as a standing army. If the two were to leave each other alone, we wouldn't have a problem (obviously) But as of lately, every time things start to cool down a fraction of a degree, the Chechens start it up again.

It's a real tough spot because the Chechens and southern Russian territories are pretty much blacklisted from the rest of Russia. They have extreme difficulty in finding jobs and getting decent education. However if the Chechens are given independence I would it wouldn't stop the attacks as they will always seek revenge.

MotoH said:

Yes, because life is that simple.

The retaliation will be epic.

Cyrus said:
The point is that, the Russians have not been nice to the Chechens.

Are you saying that Russians deserved to be killed? Do you apply the same "moral standards" to the victims of 9/11 attacks and terrorist bombings in Israel, Britain, Spain,..?

meopemuk said:
Are you saying that Russians deserved to be killed? Do you apply the same "moral standards" to the victims of 9/11 attacks and terrorist bombings in Israel, Britain, Spain,..?

I never said anything of the sort: I would appreciate it if you do not put words into my mouth.

If there is something about my posts you do not understand, simply ask.

cronxeh said:
The retaliation will be epic.

This was not the deadliest terrorist attack in Russia's modern history. 170 people were killed in a Moscow theater in 2002. There were 334 victims of the Beslan school siege in 2004. So, I don't think that this time the response will take some epic proportions.

Greg Bernhardt said:
However if the Chechens are given independence I would it wouldn't stop the attacks as they will always seek revenge.

Actually, Chechens enjoyed de facto independence from Russia in 1997-1999. During that time they attacked neighbouring Dagestan and started an apartment bombing campaign throughout Russia. This was put to an end by the 2nd Chechen war. However terrible yesterday's bombings are, the overall situation in the Caucasus is much better now than it was 10 years ago.

meopemuk said:
Actually, Chechens enjoyed de facto independence from Russia in 1997-1999. During that time they attacked neighbouring Dagestan and started an apartment bombing campaign throughout Russia. This was put to an end by the 2nd Chechen war. However terrible yesterday's bombings are, the overall situation in the Caucasus is much better now than it was 10 years ago.

This is an interesting read (I have only skimmed through the intro). I do not know the quality of Amnesty International as an organizations, only that I found it online.

Taken from the introduction:

AI said:
Stretching back over 15 years Amnesty International has documented a range of grievous
human rights violations carried out in the context of the conflicts. People have become
victims of such human rights violations in the region as enforced disappearance, arbitrary
detention, torture or other ill-treatment, or even killed while in detention. Moreover, there
has been a continuing failure by the Russian authorities to implement effective and
adequate measures to investigate these abuses. Investigations by the Russian authorities
into alleged serious human rights violations by law enforcement and security officers
have been far from prompt, independent and effective. In 2007, a new structure, the
Investigative Committee, was established within the Office of the Prosecutor General, and was charged with responsibility for criminal investigations. However, a review is needed
of the functioning of this Committee to ensure their compliance with international
standards of promptness, thoroughness, independence and impartiality. The failure to
investigate allegations of human rights violations in accordance with such standards is
itself a human rights violation.

Perhaps, others should discontinue the cartoon statements about this incident and look into it with objectivity and seriousness.

Refrences
[1] http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/EUR46/012/2009/en/66cda198-85c0-452c-a2c5-98cac593a990/eur460122009en.pdfl

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry you feel that way, Cyrus.
Without SF counter-terrorist teams, be it from America, Serbia or otherwise, this would be a sad world to live in.

Respect your opinion, and just mine...

pallidin said:
Sorry you feel that way, Cyrus.
Without SF counter-terrorist teams, be it from America, Serbia or otherwise, this would be a sad world to live in.

Respect your opinion, and just mine...

Your videos offer nothing of substance to the topic at hand, nor does this post. I fail to see the relevance this provides to a meaningful discussion of the issues in that region. In addition, you did not provide an opinion, you linked a video.

To be clear: Yes, counter terrorist teams are important. No, that does not have to do with this thread.

My opinion?
The suicide bombings were outright murder on innocents.

pallidin said:
My opinion?
The suicide bombings were outright murder on innocents.

Yes, it was. That's called a fact. Such statements, while appealing to the emotion, do not get you one step closer to understanding the nature of the problem, or why such an incident occurred in the first place, or how to prevent it in the future. So again, let's have a mature discussion about this, okay?

Side: In case others have not picked up on this by now (and I fully suspect they have not), this is my gripe with the replies in this thread. It has nothing to do with the people in that subway being attacked. I have no idea how others got that impression.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
To be clear: Yes, counter terrorist teams are important. No, that does not have to do with this thread.

You have got to be kidding. This thread has nothing to do with terrorism?
Let's see... radicals kill civilians.

pallidin said:
You have got to be kidding. This thread has nothing to do with terrorism?
Let's see... radicals kill civilians.

No, I am not kidding. Please knock off the high school level comments, and provide some substance to the discussion of this current event. Otherwise, post your comments at the bottom of those YouTube videos, this isn't the place for them.

OK, Cyrus, point-blank...

What's your opinion of blowing people up to propagate an ideology with respect to that region?
My opinion is that these perps should be taken down, and I offered the vid's to show that this can be done. That was the only reason for the vid's.

Should you have some other idea on how to resolve this short of a direct military action, please share.

pallidin said:

What's your opinion of blowing people up to propagate an ideology with respect to that region?
My opinion is that these perps should be taken down, and I offered the vid's to show that this can be done. That was the only reason for the vid's.

Should you have some other idea on how to resolve this short of a direct military action, please share.

How do you feel?

I think you should go read more books, articles, and newspapers. I am under no obligation to furnish you with any solutions to this problem. Please stop pretending to play the role of counter terrorist expert. It looks ridiculous.

But, I do love the cockiness of your post: "these perps should be taken down", sir, yes sir Jack Bauer!

Last edited:
pallidin said:

How do you feel?

I don't know the details of this, and would like to be educated. But if the rebels feel this strongly about it, this rebellion is going to manifest itself for generations. Instead of going back in history and figuring out who are the good guys, and who are the bad guys, can't we just make an assumption that they are both better off being separate countries?

Killing innocent civilians is called Terrorism all over the world. People who believe in law and order agree that terrorists must be destroyed.