How to increase pressure in a system

In summary, the speaker is looking to create a testing system for high pressure water pumps and needs to know how to simulate a specific pressure in order to measure the flow. They have tried using a flow meter but have been unable to achieve the desired pressure. They are wondering if there is a valve that can increase the pressure to achieve a flow rate of 250 gpm at 7 bar. The responder suggests using a variable frequency drive pump, but acknowledges that it is expensive. They also mention the relationship between pressure and flow rate in a system and suggest using a diffuser to decrease velocity and increase pressure. The speaker is unsure if this solution will work for their specific testing needs and asks for further advice. The responder suggests using a back pressure
yaljared
I want to make a testing system to test a high pressure water pumps. I need to know how much is the flow in a certain pressure. I bought a flow meter to measure the flow but I couldn't simulate the pressure I need. I DON'T know if there is a kind of valve that can increase the pressure to make the pump (for example) give 250 gpm at 7 bar

who can help me on this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A variable frequency drive pump can easily be used to change the pressure and flow rate if u wish , but unfortunately this kind of pump is very expensive , though there is always a relationship between pressure and flow rate in any system using bernoulli energy balance where static pressure , velocity "dynamic pressure" and potential energy are balanced between 2 points through the system , using a diffuser somewhere in the system will decrease your velocity and increase your pressure.

Thank you Firava.
But I don't think the frequency drive will help me. I want to test the performance of the pump I assemble.Wether it gives the required flow under a certain pressure.

Thanks

Can't you simply put a back pressure regulator on the outlet of your pump and measure flow rate downstream of that?

Example:
Inlet -> Pump -> Pressure Gage -> Back pressure regulator (& relief valve) -> Flow measurement at Patm.

1. How does temperature affect pressure in a system?

As temperature increases, the pressure in a system also increases. This is due to the fact that the molecules in the system have more kinetic energy at higher temperatures, causing them to move faster and collide more frequently with the walls of the system, resulting in an increase in pressure.

2. What is the relationship between volume and pressure in a system?

According to Boyle's Law, there is an inverse relationship between volume and pressure in a system. This means that as volume decreases, pressure increases and vice versa. This is because as the volume of a system decreases, the molecules have less space to move around, resulting in more collisions with the walls and an increase in pressure.

3. Can changing the amount of gas in a system affect its pressure?

Yes, increasing the amount of gas in a system will also increase its pressure. This is known as Avogadro's Law, which states that at a constant temperature and pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas present in the system.

4. What is the role of a piston in increasing pressure in a system?

A piston is used to decrease the volume of a system, which in turn increases the pressure. By pushing down on the piston, the gas molecules in the system are compressed, resulting in more collisions with the walls and an increase in pressure.

5. How can the pressure in a system be increased without changing the temperature or amount of gas?

The pressure in a system can be increased by decreasing the volume of the system. This can be achieved by using a piston or by reducing the size of the container. By decreasing the volume, the same amount of gas molecules will occupy a smaller space, resulting in an increase in pressure.