Why Doesn't Conservation of Momentum Apply if Earth Stops Rotating?

In summary, we discussed the concept of applying the conservation of momentum to the Earth as a system, specifically in regards to its rotation. However, the equation I1w1=I1(0) does not work in this scenario and it is unclear how an internal force could stop the Earth's rotation. We also explored questions related to angular momentum and the effects of changing the moment of inertia on the Earth's rotation. It was concluded that stopping the Earth's rotation entirely would have disastrous consequences, but simply slowing it down would not cause the Earth to fly out of its orbit.
zorro
Suppose the Earth stops rotating suddenly ( say due to some large internal force ). If we consider the whole Earth as a system and apply conservation of momentum:

I1w1=I1(0)

This equation does not work. Why is it so?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul Quadeer said:
Suppose the Earth stops rotating suddenly ( say due to some large internal force ).
How can an internal force stop the Earth's rotation? What do you mean?

I have seen many questions like 'Suppose the speed of rotation of Earth decreases by some internal force, how would it affect the duration of day' etc
In these questions we use angular momentum concept.

Abdul Quadeer said:
I have seen many questions like 'Suppose the speed of rotation of Earth decreases by some internal force, how would it affect the duration of day' etc
That's an odd question. Can you give me a specific example?

In these questions we use angular momentum concept.
It's certainly true that angular momentum will be conserved if the only forces are internal. But why would you need to use that fact--you're told that the speed decreases.

I'm Sorry,
Questions are not like that.
I read that if the moment of inertia of the Earth decreases/increases suddenly, then how will it affect the duration of the day.
How can moment of inertia change suddenly?

Abdul Quadeer said:
I read that if the moment of inertia of the Earth decreases/increases suddenly, then how will it affect the duration of the day.
How can moment of inertia change suddenly?
I assume they want you to imagine that mass of the Earth somehow redistributes (due to internal forces) to change the moment of inertia.

In order for the Earth to stop rotating entirely, all its mass would need to go infinitely far away from the center of the earth.

In order for the Earth to start rotating infinitely fast, all its mass would need to be pulled into a single point at the center.

If the Earth stops rotating highly energetic plasma will ionize the atmosphere, strip it off and bombard the Earth with extreme radiation (non-rotating, liquid iron causes a loss of magnetic field lines). I know this doesn't answer the question but it's still interesting.

Doc Al said:
How can an internal force stop the Earth's rotation? What do you mean?

suppose a motor was attached to a mass such that the axis of the masses rotation coincided with the axis of the Earth then you could alter the speed of the Earth's rotation by changing the rotational speed of the mass. Total angular momentum would be conserved. If you accelerated the mass in the same direction as Earth's rotation then the reaction torque would slow the earth. Given a large enough mass and a powerful enough motor you could (in theory) stop the Earth's rotation.

Well, that is not an internal force (from inside the earth). You are providing an external force, I suppose

i was looking for an answer to this question " what happens to Earth if suddenly stops rotating".
and i don't care about humans, trees, mountains flying away at very high speed, what I'm curios about is how much the orbit of Earth is affected. Let's say I'm a very , very large entity, with fingers, and that I'm putting my finger on Earth, in such way that i forbid him to revolve anymore. In this case, would Earth fly away from the solar system?

smyth said:
i was looking for an answer to this question " what happens to Earth if suddenly stops rotating".
and i don't care about humans, trees, mountains flying away at very high speed, what I'm curios about is how much the orbit of Earth is affected. Let's say I'm a very , very large entity, with fingers, and that I'm putting my finger on Earth, in such way that i forbid him to revolve anymore. In this case, would Earth fly away from the solar system?

No. It would still go in more or less in the same orbit.

1. What would happen if the earth suddenly stopped rotating?

If the earth were to suddenly stop rotating, everything on the surface would be violently thrown eastward at high speeds. This would cause immense destruction and chaos as buildings, people, and objects are hurled in different directions. Additionally, the sudden change in motion would cause massive earthquakes and tsunamis.

2. Would the earth's gravity change if it stopped rotating?

No, the earth's gravity would not change if it stopped rotating. Gravity is a force that is dependent on mass, not rotation. The earth's mass would remain the same, therefore its gravity would not be affected by the change in rotation.

3. How would the change in rotation affect the length of a day?

If the earth stopped rotating, the length of a day would stay the same at 24 hours. However, the sun would appear to stay in the same position in the sky, causing one side of the earth to experience constant daylight and the other side to experience constant darkness.

4. Would the earth's orbit around the sun be affected if it stopped rotating?

Yes, the earth's orbit around the sun would be affected if it stopped rotating. The earth's rotation is what creates the centrifugal force that keeps us in orbit around the sun. Without this force, the earth would start to drift away from the sun, eventually breaking out of its orbit.

5. Is it possible for the earth to stop rotating?

While it is not likely for the earth to suddenly stop rotating, there are some scenarios that could cause a significant change in the earth's rotation. For example, a large asteroid impact or a collision with another planet could potentially alter the earth's rotation. However, the earth is currently rotating at a stable rate and is not expected to stop anytime soon.