Relationship among LCM, GCD, and coprimes

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the least common multiple and the greatest common divisor of two or more numbers. It is stated that when lcm(a,b,c) = p*a = q*b = r*c, then gcd(p,q,r) = 1, meaning that p, q, and r are relatively prime. This property is verified with examples and is also explained using the concept of common divisors.
andresc889
Hi everybody,

I am having an extremely hard time understanding a specific relationship that originates from the least common multiple of two or more numbers.

According to "Number Theory and Its History" by Oystein Ore, it is not difficult to see that when one writes

lcm(a,b,c) = p*a = q*b = r*c

Then

gcd(p,q,r) = 1

Meaning that p, q, and r are relatively prime (coprimes).

I have verified this property with several examples. However, I feel somewhat stupid because I cannot see why this is true, and Ore is saying "it is not difficult to see."

According to Wikipedia,

"(...) if a and b are two rationals (or integers), there are integers m and n such that LCM(a, b) = m × a = n × b. This implies that m and n are coprime; otherwise they could be divided by their common divisor, giving a common multiple less that the least common multiple, which is absurd."

I am not able to see how this argument works. Can anybody help me understand how this property is proven?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, it's saying that if m and n have a common divisor d>1, then (m/d)*a = (n/d)*b is also a common multiple of a and b. But (m/d)*a < m*a = LCM (a, b), so this is impossible. The same trick works with the three-variable version.

Thank you Citan. It finally makes sense!

What is the relationship between LCM, GCD, and coprimes?

The Least Common Multiple (LCM) of two numbers is the smallest positive integer that is divisible by both numbers without any remainder. The Greatest Common Divisor (GCD) of two numbers is the largest positive integer that divides both numbers without any remainder. Coprimes, also known as relatively prime numbers, are two numbers that have no common factors other than 1. The relationship among LCM, GCD, and coprimes is that the LCM of two coprime numbers is their product, and the GCD of two coprime numbers is 1.

How are LCM and GCD calculated?

The LCM of two numbers can be calculated by finding the prime factors of both numbers and then multiplying the highest power of each prime factor. For example, the LCM of 12 and 18 is calculated as: LCM(12, 18) = 2^2 x 3^2 = 36. The GCD of two numbers can be calculated by finding the common prime factors of both numbers and then multiplying the lowest power of each common prime factor. For example, the GCD of 12 and 18 is calculated as: GCD(12, 18) = 2^1 x 3^1 = 6.

Can the LCM and GCD of two numbers be equal?

Yes, the LCM and GCD of two numbers can be equal. This happens when the two numbers are coprime, as the LCM of two coprime numbers is their product, and the GCD is 1. For example, the LCM and GCD of 5 and 7 are both equal to 35.

What is the significance of LCM and GCD in mathematics?

LCM and GCD have many applications in mathematics, including simplifying fractions, solving equations, and finding common denominators. They are also used in various algorithms and mathematical concepts, such as the Euclidean algorithm and prime factorization. Additionally, LCM and GCD are essential in the study of number theory and are used in various real-life situations, such as scheduling and finding the optimal route for travel.

How are LCM, GCD, and coprimes related to prime numbers?

Prime numbers are numbers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. The LCM and GCD of any two prime numbers will always be 1, as prime numbers have no common factors other than 1. Furthermore, any two prime numbers are always coprime, as they have no common factors other than 1. Therefore, the concepts of LCM, GCD, and coprimes are closely related to prime numbers.