Finding Constant Acceleration of Train: Liz's Homework Solution

In summary, the conversation is about finding the constant acceleration of a train based on the length and time it takes for two cars to pass a person on a subway platform. The conversation also mentions the use of the equation change in velocity = acceleration x time, and the discrepancy between the answer given in the book and the answer found by the person involved in the conversation.
atypical

Homework Statement

Liz rushes down onto a subway platform to find her train already
departing. She stops and watches the cars go by. Each
car is 8.60 m long. The first moves past her in 1.50 s and the
second in 1.10 s. Find the constant acceleration of the train.

Homework Equations

change in velocity=a(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is different from the book. I found the velocity of each cart given the length and time to pass. From there I took the difference of the two velocities to get my change in velocity.
Then, from the equation i found the total time from both cars to pass then divided to solve for a.

change in velocity=a(t)
therefore: 2.11m/s=a(1.5s+1.1s)
a=0.8m/s^2
Book is getting 1.6m/s^2
...so I am off by a product of 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi atypical! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
atypical said:
I found the velocity of each cart given the length and time to pass.

nooo … v = s/t only works for constant velocity …

call the initial velocity v, and get two equations for a and v, from which you can eliminate v to find a :smile:

What is constant acceleration and why is it important in physics?

Constant acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time, and it is important in physics because it allows us to predict the motion of objects and understand the laws of motion.

How do you calculate the constant acceleration of a train?

To calculate the constant acceleration of a train, you need to measure the change in velocity over a specific time period. You can then use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

What factors can affect the constant acceleration of a train?

The constant acceleration of a train can be affected by various factors such as the force of the train's engine, the incline or decline of the track, friction, and air resistance. These factors can either increase or decrease the train's acceleration.

How does the constant acceleration of a train relate to its velocity and position?

The constant acceleration of a train directly affects its velocity and position. As the train accelerates, its velocity increases, and its position changes accordingly. The greater the acceleration, the faster the train's velocity and the greater the change in its position over time.

What is an example of a real-life scenario where understanding constant acceleration is important?

One example of a real-life scenario where understanding constant acceleration is important is in designing roller coasters. Engineers need to calculate the acceleration of the roller coaster to ensure the safety and enjoyment of riders. They also use this information to design the track layout and determine the height and speed of the roller coaster.