Special relativity - two flashes at different places

In summary, the problem involves finding the relative velocity of a second observer who would record two flashes of light occurring at the same place. This can be solved by finding the coordinates of the two events in frame S and using the equation x' = gamma (x - beta W), where W is the speed of light times t. By setting the invariant separation between the two events to zero, the time dilation factor can be calculated and used to find the relative velocity.
wumple

Homework Statement

An observer S sees a flash of red light 1200m from his position and a flash of blue light 720 m closer to him and on the same straight line. He measures the time interval between the occurrence of the flashes to be 5.0 microseconds, the red flash occurring first.
(a)What is the relative velocity v of a second observer S' who would record these flashes as occurring at the same place?

Homework Equations

x' = gamma (x - beta W) , W = ct

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation and set delta x' = 0 but I came up with beta = -.32. The back says beta = .48. What did I do wrong?? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
wumple said:
What did I do wrong??
Very hard to tell because you basically showed no work.

##\Delta x' = \gamma (\Delta x - v \Delta t) ##

Now ## \Delta x' = 0## - what does this tell you about ##\Delta x - v \Delta t ##?
What ##\Delta x ## and ## \Delta t ## values should be used?

wumple said:

Homework Statement

An observer S sees a flash of red light 1200m from his position and a flash of blue light 720 m closer to him and on the same straight line. He measures the time interval between the occurrence of the flashes to be 5.0 microseconds, the red flash occurring first.
(a)What is the relative velocity v of a second observer S' who would record these flashes as occurring at the same place?

Homework Equations

x' = gamma (x - beta W) , W = ct

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation and set delta x' = 0 but I came up with beta = -.32. The back says beta = .48. What did I do wrong?? Thanks in advance!
When in doubt (and when you can), write down coordinates for the events of interest.

In frame S, can you find ##(x_r, t_r)## coordinates for the event where the flash of red light was emitted?
In frame S, can you find ##(x_b, t_b)## coordinates for the event where the flash of blue light was emitted?

In doing this, feel free to define a zero time for your coordinate system as you see fit.

With these coordinates in hand, can you find the invariant separation between the two events? Is it timelike or spacelike? (Given what S' records, one can see what that answer needs to be).

Since this separation is invariant, what does this say about what delay that observer S' records between the two flashes?

With these results in hand, can you calculate a time dilation factor for the proper time of S' compared to the coordinate time of S?

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory in physics that explains how time and space are affected by the speed of an object and the presence of gravity. It was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century and has been confirmed by numerous experiments since then.

2. How does special relativity relate to two flashes at different places?

Special relativity states that time and space are relative and can be affected by the motion of an object. In the case of two flashes at different places, the timing and distance between the flashes can appear different to observers in different frames of reference.

3. What is the significance of two flashes at different places in special relativity?

Two flashes at different places serve as a thought experiment to illustrate the concepts of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity. It helps to demonstrate how an observer's perception of time and space can differ based on their relative motion.

4. Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity has been confirmed to be accurate in everyday situations. GPS technology, for example, relies on the principles of special relativity to account for the time dilation effects of satellites orbiting the Earth at high speeds.

5. What are the implications of special relativity for the laws of physics?

Special relativity has significant implications for the laws of physics, as it shows that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in inertial reference frames. It also demonstrates that the speed of light is constant and is the maximum speed at which any object can travel.