Bogoliubov transformation 3-mode

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a bogoliubov transformation in spin-wave theory. The person is looking for a transformation for three bosons, but has only found it for one and two-mode bosons. They mention a long Hamiltonian with non-diagonal terms and ask for a known bogoliubov transformation for three different bosons. Another person mentions that a solution exists for fermions and suggests using a vector and unitary transformation to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the person expressing hope for finding a solution.
Naibaf
Hi everyone,

I'm working on spin-wave theory and I have a problem with a bogoliubov transformation.
I must do the transformation with 3 bosons and i have no idea how to do it.
I've only found the transformation for 1 and 2-mode bosons, but not for three...

It exist?

Thanks...

And sorry for my english...

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you could provide us with your hamiltonian?

The hamiltonian is very long, but the idea is that I have, products of bosons operator, for example: a*a + a*b + a*c + b*b + bb + b*c and so on...

Where a, b an c are boson operators.
As there are "non-diagonal" terms, the idea is use Bogoliubov Transformation for make the hamiltonian a diagonal hamiltonian... But for 2 differents bosons, the tranformation is:

alpha_{k} = cosh(theta_{k}) a_{k} - sinh(theta_{k}) b*_{k}, where b* is b-dagger

ans this transformation is like "universal" because everyone use it.
So my question is if there is a known bogoliubov transformation for 3 differents bosons in a hamiltonian...
( I hope you understand my english :) )

I can certainly tell you that a solution exists, at least in the fermionic case, because the Bogoliubov transformation is used routinely in nuclear physics, where you can have ~100 protons and neutrons. Sorry not to be able to supply the actual solution you want :-)

In this case, the 3 bosons operators are different, I have: a, b and c.
I guess that for ~100 differents protons the transformation must be huge!

I also guess that the bogoliubov transformation for fermions should not be so different from that of bosons......at least I have some hope! :)
thanks

So, introducing the vector [tex] A=(a_k, a^*_{-k}, b_k, b^*_{-k},c_k, c^*_{-k})^T[/tex],
you should be able to write your hamiltonian as [tex]H=A^\dagger M(k) A[/tex]. Then you have to find the unitary transformation U which diagonalizes the matrix M, i.e., you have to solve the eigenvalue problem for M. Then the vector of the alphas is UA.
Not a big deal, in principle.

1. What is a Bogoliubov transformation 3-mode?

A Bogoliubov transformation 3-mode is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to transform the operators of a system from one set of modes to another set of modes, often with the goal of simplifying the mathematical description of the system.

2. Why is the Bogoliubov transformation 3-mode useful?

The Bogoliubov transformation 3-mode is useful because it allows for the diagonalization of the Hamiltonian of a system, making it easier to analyze and solve. It is also used in many physical systems, such as Bose-Einstein condensates and superconductors.

3. How does a Bogoliubov transformation 3-mode work?

A Bogoliubov transformation 3-mode is a linear transformation that involves changing the operators of a system from one set of modes to another set of modes. This is accomplished by expressing the operators in terms of creation and annihilation operators, and then performing a unitary transformation on these operators.

4. Can a Bogoliubov transformation 3-mode be applied to any system?

No, a Bogoliubov transformation 3-mode is only applicable to systems that can be described by a quadratic Hamiltonian, meaning the terms in the Hamiltonian only involve quadratic operators. Examples of systems that can be described by a Bogoliubov transformation 3-mode include bosonic and fermionic systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Bogoliubov transformation 3-mode?

One limitation of using a Bogoliubov transformation 3-mode is that it only applies to systems with a small number of modes. Additionally, it may not accurately describe systems with strong interactions or highly non-linear behavior. In these cases, more advanced mathematical techniques may be required.