Wanting to know more about quantum mechanics

In summary: You should read books such as "An Introduction to Mathematical Physics" by David Park and "Foundations of Modern Physics" by Richard Feynman. I hope this helps. In summary, BruceOmar recommends that if you want to learn more about Quantum Mechanics, you should read books such as "An Introduction to Mathematical Physics" by David Park and "Foundations of Modern Physics" by Richard Feynman. He also recommends that you take care of your mathematics and classical physics courses.
Omar
Can anyone please post a link concerning Quantum Mechanics--explanation, introduction...etc? I'm really interested in it. I've read quite a little about it and I want to know more.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks.
Oh.. as for buying a book; I can't really find concentrate my effort on a totally new text as my teacher advised not to read 'too much' extras which are not included in my physics syllabus as it'll get me confused. IGCSE curriculum--so linear, you know.

Omar said:
Thanks.
Oh.. as for buying a book; I can't really find concentrate my effort on a totally new text as my teacher advised not to read 'too much' extras which are not included in my physics syllabus as it'll get me confused. IGCSE curriculum--so linear, you know.
I found two good books -- Structure and Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics by R.I.G. Hughes and Quantum Mechanics and Experience by David Z. Albert -- at the San Francisco public library. The Hughes book is nice because it summarizes all the linear algebra you need in the first chapter, and prepares you to think about the philosophical issues. The Albert book is easier but narrower -- he mainly concentrates on the meaning of measurement. I picked these two because they were listed in the syllabus of a "Philosophy of Quantum Mechanics" course online at MIT. They are both relatively introductory.
Bruce

Omar, I was also an IGCSE student and now I teach laser physics at the university. I think that you live in Egypt like me. I recommend that if you really want ot delve into Quantum mechanics, you should take good care of your mathematics courses and your classical physics courses too.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of these particles.

2. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it helps us understand the behavior of matter at a very small scale, which is crucial for advancements in fields such as electronics, chemistry, and materials science. It also plays a key role in technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines.

3. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of microscopic particles. In classical mechanics, objects have definite properties and follow predictable paths, while in quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously and their behavior is governed by probabilities.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, such as in computer technology, cryptography, and medical imaging. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new materials, such as superconductors, and in fields such as quantum computing and quantum communication.

5. Is it possible to fully understand quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a complex and constantly evolving field, and while we have made great strides in understanding its principles, there is still much that we do not fully comprehend. Some scientists believe that there may never be a complete understanding of quantum mechanics, as it challenges our traditional understanding of the physical world.