3 phase Vs 1 Phase Transformer Cost

In summary, the speaker has recently completed a course in Transformer Design and has found that for handling the same power with comparable efficiency, 3-phase transformers are heavier and costlier than single phase transformers. This is due to the increase in iron weight, which offsets the decrease in copper weight. The speaker is curious if others are aware of this or if their calculations are incorrect. Another individual agrees and points out that it seems odd that transmission in 3-phase is cheaper, but transformation is more expensive.
I_am_learning
I have just completed a course in Transformer Design. But I am now surprised at a result I found. For Handling Same Power (Say 15 Kva) at around same efficiency, 3 phase transformer are more heavier and costlier than single phase transformer.

Although, The Copper Weight Decreases in case of 3-phase, its benifit is nullified by much more increase in Iron Weight. Although the Cost Ratios might be affected by market economies of Copper Vs Iron, The weight ratio will be same.

I just want to hear if some of you are already aware of this OR my calculations are madly flawed!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I agree.

For the same KVA a 3-phase transformer is heavier and costlier than a single phase transformer.

For the same KVA, three single phase transformers are heavier and costlier than a 3-phase transformer.

Thanks.
Doesn't that sound absurd to you that Transmission in 3 phase is cheaper but Transformation is expensive?

(Sorry for late reply)

1. What is the main difference between 3 phase and 1 phase transformers?

The main difference between 3 phase and 1 phase transformers is the number of phases or electrical paths that the transformer can handle. 3 phase transformers have three separate electrical paths, while 1 phase transformers have only one.

2. Is there a significant cost difference between 3 phase and 1 phase transformers?

Yes, there is a significant cost difference between 3 phase and 1 phase transformers. 3 phase transformers are generally more expensive than 1 phase transformers due to their increased complexity and capabilities.

3. What factors contribute to the cost difference between 3 phase and 1 phase transformers?

The cost difference between 3 phase and 1 phase transformers is mainly due to the materials and construction required for three separate electrical paths in 3 phase transformers. Additionally, the demand for 3 phase transformers is higher in industrial and commercial settings, driving up the cost.

4. Are there any efficiency differences between 3 phase and 1 phase transformers?

Both 3 phase and 1 phase transformers can have high efficiency levels, but 3 phase transformers tend to have a slight advantage due to their three-phase design. This allows for more balanced and evenly distributed power, resulting in less energy loss during transmission.

5. Which type of transformer is more commonly used in industrial settings?

3 phase transformers are more commonly used in industrial settings due to their higher power capacity and ability to handle higher electrical loads. They are also better suited for industrial machinery and equipment that require three-phase power.