A question about index notation

In summary, index notation is a mathematical notation that uses symbols or indices to represent the placement of elements in a sequence, matrix, or vector. It is used to simplify and generalize mathematical expressions and formulas. The notation follows a set of rules and conventions, such as using subscripts and superscripts, to indicate the position and operation of elements. It is commonly used in algebra, calculus, and physics to express mathematical operations and relationships in a concise and organized manner.
naima
Gold Member
Could you please tell me what means
[tex] B_{[ij} B'_{kl]} [/tex] where B and B' are bivectors
I found it in http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0311162"
look at lemma 2.4
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi naima! :smile:

it means the whole thing is antisymmetrised in all indices …

the indices are treated the same way as in [itex] A_{[ijkl]} [/itex] :wink:

ok thanks
And I guess when one is outside the brakets it is not antisymmetric with those inside?
I'll go on reading this paper it seems interesting.

naima said:
And I guess when one is outside the brakets it is not antisymmetric with those inside?

yup! :smile:

1. What is index notation?

Index notation is a mathematical notation used to represent and manipulate multi-dimensional arrays, also known as tensors. It involves using indices or subscripts to denote the position of each element in the array.

2. How is index notation different from standard notation?

Index notation is different from standard notation in that it explicitly indicates the position of each element in the array, whereas standard notation does not. It is also more concise and easier to manipulate for calculations involving multi-dimensional arrays.

3. What are the benefits of using index notation?

Using index notation allows for easier manipulation and computation of multi-dimensional arrays, as well as making it easier to visualize and understand the structure of the array. It is also more compact and efficient compared to standard notation.

4. Can index notation be used for any type of mathematical expression?

Yes, index notation can be used for any mathematical expression involving multi-dimensional arrays. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. Are there any rules or conventions for using index notation?

Yes, there are certain rules and conventions that should be followed when using index notation. These include using consistent and meaningful indices, properly defining the dimensions of the array, and following the Einstein summation convention when performing calculations.