Distance travelled during acceleration

• Thread starter stupidlawyer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, a criminal lawyer needs help calculating the speed of a client who drove 80 meters in 7 seconds, with an unknown initial velocity, using the equation vf = vi + at and the knowns of displacement and acceleration. After solving, it is determined that the client's final velocity is 25.17 meters/second if acceleration was constant, but this may not be accurate if acceleration was not constant.
stupidlawyer

Homework Statement

i am a stupid criminal lawyer, i have a driving case where a client drove 80 metres from a stopped position. if client accelerates at rate of 0-100km/h in 7 seconds how fast will he be traveling when he gets to the 80th metre?

Homework Equations

i know nothing

The Attempt at a Solution

please help, my client is innocent.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) List your knowns - displacement and initial velocity - and calculate acceleration

2) Find relevant equation that has the variables V(final), d, and a.

3) Plug in and solve

Here's my work:

[PLAIN]http://i.min.us/icDaju.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The units of vf^2 should be (m/s)^2.

You want to know the average acceleration first right? so, then your simple answer is 100/7 meters/second^2=about 14.29 meters/second^2. The client's initial velocity is 0 meters per second. so, v= 0 plus the (time it take to travel 80 meters times 100/7 m/s^2). to calculate time, you got to say (80meters=1/2at^2). Therefor, it took about 3.35 seconds to reach 80 meters. Ultimiteley then if you plug in 3.35seconds times 14.29= velocity after 80 meters. So, your answer is 48meters/second, unless the acceleration was inconsistent. that should be it though. correct me if I am wrong, because I'm just a student. remember 48 meters/second after 80 meters if the acceleration was constant, which I think is.

oh oopse sorry! i forgot to convert hours to seconds! my bad!

in that case, the acceleration is 3.96m/s^2 and so it would be 80=(1/2)(3.96m/s^2)(t)^2

time=6.356seconds
vf=(6.356s)(3.96m/s^2)=25.17meters/second
the guy who first replied was completely right then thanks man!

Uh ... no - that's not how it works. Simply because vf is squared doesn't mean to arbitrarily square part of the other side.

SteamKing said:
The units of vf^2 should be (m/s)^2.

Qube said:
Uh ... no - that's not how it works. Simply because vf is squared doesn't mean to arbitrarily square part of the other side.

The units must match. If they don't it means you have forgotten to non-arbitrarily square the other side.

[itex] v_i^2 [/itex] and 2ad both have units of [itex] m^2s^{-2} [/itex]

Rayquesto said:
in that case, the acceleration is 3.96m/s^2 and so it would be 80=(1/2)(3.96m/s^2)(t)^2

time=6.356seconds
vf=(6.356s)(3.96m/s^2)=25.17meters/second
the guy who first replied was completely right then thanks man!

This is correct, but assumes that there was constant acceleration. If the car accelerates faster at the start and slower later on (wich is likely, because it must change to a higher gear at some point), it will reach the 80m point earlier and have less speed.

So, are you suppposed to use the vf^2=vi^2 plus 2acceleration times distance equation if you're not sure if acceleration is constant?

Rayquesto said:
So, are you suppposed to use the vf^2=vi^2 plus 2acceleration times distance equation if you're not sure if acceleration is constant?

That equation also assumes acceleration is constant. If it's not, the problem is unsolvable unless you know precisely how acceleration changes with time.

1. How is distance travelled during acceleration calculated?

The distance travelled during acceleration can be calculated using the formula: d = 1/2 * a * t^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. Does the mass of the object affect the distance travelled during acceleration?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the distance travelled during acceleration. The greater the mass, the harder it is to accelerate and thus, the shorter the distance travelled.

3. What is the difference between distance travelled during acceleration and distance travelled at a constant speed?

The main difference is that during acceleration, the speed of the object is changing, while at a constant speed, the speed remains the same. This means that the distance travelled during acceleration will be shorter than the distance travelled at a constant speed.

4. How does the angle of acceleration affect the distance travelled?

The angle of acceleration does not directly affect the distance travelled. However, it does affect the direction of the object's motion, which can impact the overall distance travelled.

5. Is it possible for an object to travel a greater distance during deceleration than during acceleration?

Yes, it is possible for an object to travel a greater distance during deceleration than during acceleration. This is because during deceleration, the object is still moving at a high speed, but in the opposite direction, which can result in a longer distance travelled.