How to derive the space state form of this system?

In summary, the space state form of a system is a mathematical representation of its behavior over time, consisting of a set of differential equations that relate the input, output, and state variables. To derive this form, one must identify the variables and use the laws of physics and system dynamics to write the equations. The advantages of using the space state form include a compact and comprehensive representation, control and design capabilities, and simulation capabilities. It can be used for all types of systems, but may have limitations such as requiring accurate and complete knowledge of the system dynamics and becoming computationally complex for large and complex systems.
serbring
Hi all,

I need to derive the space state form of this simple system:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/system.png/

The two springs end are moving.

I derived the equation fo motion:

m*ddxm+kl*(xm-xl)+ku*(xm-xu)+cl*(dxm-dxl)+cu*(dxmdxu)

where ddxm is the mass acceleration
dxm is the mass speed
xm is the mass position
xl is the lower spring end position
dxl is the lower spring end velocity
xu is the lower spring end position
dxu is the lower spring end velocity

My system has two inputs and one output and my problem is to understand how to manage them.

so I changed the variables in this way:
y1=xm
y2=dxm

and I derived the following equation:

dy2=-y1*(kl/m+ku/m)-y2*(cl/m+cu/m)+kl/m*xl+ku/m*xu+cl/m*xl+cu/m*xu.

And this should be the A matrix:

A=[0 1 ;
-kl/m-ku/m -cl/m-cu/m]
How should I define the input matrix since I have speed and velocity in the input and they are related each other? Hopefully to have properly explained my doubt, if not don't hesitate to ask me please

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
serbring said:
Hi all,

I need to derive the space state form of this simple system:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/system.png/

The two springs end are moving.

I derived the equation fo motion:

m*ddxm+kl*(xm-xl)+ku*(xm-xu)+cl*(dxm-dxl)+cu*(dxmdxu)

where ddxm is the mass acceleration
dxm is the mass speed
xm is the mass position
xl is the lower spring end position
dxl is the lower spring end velocity
xu is the lower spring end position
dxu is the lower spring end velocity

My system has two inputs and one output and my problem is to understand how to manage them.

so I changed the variables in this way:
y1=xm
y2=dxm

and I derived the following equation:

dy2=-y1*(kl/m+ku/m)-y2*(cl/m+cu/m)+kl/m*xl+ku/m*xu+cl/m*xl+cu/m*xu.

And this should be the A matrix:

A=[0 1 ;
-kl/m-ku/m -cl/m-cu/m]

How should I define the input matrix since I have speed and velocity in the input and they are related each other? Hopefully to have properly explained my doubt, if not don't hesitate to ask me please

none can help me?

Hi there,

It seems like you have made good progress in deriving the equations for your system. To define the input matrix, you will need to consider what the inputs are and how they affect the system. In your case, you have two inputs: the position and velocity of the lower spring end. These inputs will affect the acceleration and velocity of the mass.

One way to define the input matrix is to consider the inputs as disturbances to the system. In other words, how does a change in the position and velocity of the lower spring end affect the acceleration and velocity of the mass? Once you have determined this relationship, you can use it to define the input matrix.

Another approach is to consider the inputs as control inputs. In this case, you will need to design a controller that can manipulate the position and velocity of the lower spring end to achieve a desired response from the mass. The input matrix will then depend on the control strategy you use.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your system!

1. What is the space state form of a system?

The space state form of a system is a mathematical representation that describes the behavior of a system over time. It consists of a set of differential equations that relate the input, output, and state variables of the system.

2. How do you derive the space state form of a system?

To derive the space state form of a system, you need to first identify the input, output, and state variables of the system. Then, using the laws of physics and system dynamics, you can write down a set of differential equations that describe the relationships between these variables. Finally, these equations can be rearranged to form the space state form.

3. What are the advantages of using the space state form?

The space state form allows for a compact and comprehensive representation of a system, making it easier to analyze and understand its behavior. It also provides a basis for control and design of the system, as well as for simulating its response to different inputs.

4. Can the space state form be used for all types of systems?

Yes, the space state form can be used for all types of systems, including linear and nonlinear, time-invariant and time-varying, continuous-time and discrete-time systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the space state form?

One limitation of the space state form is that it requires accurate and complete knowledge of the system dynamics. In real-world systems, this may not always be possible to obtain, leading to inaccuracies in the space state model. Additionally, the space state form may become computationally complex for large and complex systems, making it difficult to use for practical applications.