Three magnetic systems in thermal contact

In summary, the homework question asks to calculate the average square deviation of three magnetic systems in thermal contact, each composed of different numbers of spins. The most probable configuration for each system is given by s1 = s'1 + δ1, and the total number of spins and total spin for each system are related by N1+N2+N3 = N and s1+s2+s3 = s. The solution involves multiplying the multiplicity functions and taking the log of the resulting equation, then taking the derivative with respect to s1 and s2 and setting them equal to zero to find the extremum. However, the solution is incomplete and assistance is needed to proceed further.
absalonsen

Homework Statement

"Consider three magnetic systems in thermal contact, each composed of N1, N2, N3 spins, +m or -m. Starting from s1 = s'1 + δ1 etc. calculate the average square deviation <si2 of each system.

Homework Equations

s'1 is the most probable configuration for s1. N1+N2+N3 = N ; s1+s2+s3 = s

The Attempt at a Solution

I have multiplied each multiplicity function; g1(N1,s1).g2(N2,s2).g3(N3,s3) = g1g2g3exp{-(2s12/N1)-(2s22/N2) - (2s32/N3)}

then i wrote s3 = s - s1 -s2

Then i took log of the equation from both side and took derivative with respect to s1 and s2 and set s1=s'1, s2=s'2. They have to be equal to zero since it is extremum.

I came to this point and i couldn't do anything more.

Physics news on Phys.org
2s'1N2N3 + s'1N2 + s'1N3 = sN2N3 + sN2 + sN32s'2N1N3 + s'2N1 + s'2N3 = sN1N3 + sN1 + sN3Can anyone help me?

1. What are the three magnetic systems in thermal contact?

The three magnetic systems in thermal contact refer to three separate systems made of magnetic materials that are in physical contact with each other and have the ability to transfer heat energy between them. This can include magnets, ferromagnetic materials, and other types of magnetic objects.

2. How does thermal contact affect magnetic systems?

Thermal contact can affect magnetic systems by allowing for the transfer of heat energy between them. This can lead to changes in the magnetic properties of the systems, such as changes in their magnetic fields or strength.

3. What is the significance of studying three magnetic systems in thermal contact?

Studying three magnetic systems in thermal contact can provide insight into the interactions between magnetic materials and heat energy. This can have practical applications in fields such as materials science, engineering, and energy production.

4. Can three magnetic systems in thermal contact exhibit different behaviors compared to a single magnetic system?

Yes, three magnetic systems in thermal contact can exhibit different behaviors compared to a single magnetic system. This is due to the interactions between the different systems and the transfer of heat energy between them, which can affect the overall behavior of the systems.

5. What are some potential challenges in studying three magnetic systems in thermal contact?

Some potential challenges in studying three magnetic systems in thermal contact include accurately controlling and measuring the heat energy transfer between the systems, accounting for any external factors that may influence the systems, and interpreting the complex interactions between the systems and their magnetic properties.