Kinematics/free fall objects help.

• Thread starter nando94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall
In summary, the conversation was about a problem involving a diver jumping from a board and the highest point he reaches above the water. The problem was solved using the equation vi = 1.8 m/s, vf = 0 m/s, a = -9.8 m/s2, and x = ?. The person was initially confused about only having vi and vf, but then realized that gravity works even when an object is moving upward. They were seeking clarification on when to use -9.8 as the acceleration.
nando94
In my honors course we are covering kinematics concepts. There was this problem which stumbled me but then I figured out what I did wrong. I just want to make sure my concept was right. Here is the problem...

A diver springs upward with an intial speed of 1.8 m/s from a board that is 3 meters above
the surface of the pool (his displacement is y = -3m). What is the highest point he reaches above the water.

So this was my equation

vi = 1.8 m/s
vf = 0 m/s
a = -9.8 m/s2
x = ?

Solved the equation and got x = 3.16 or 3.2

So the part that kind of confused me in the beginning was that I only had vi and vf. There had to be one more piece to solve the equation. Thats when I realized that gravity works even when the object has a positive velocity in the upward y direction. But then I started
doubting my self so I am kind of confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
So are you confused about when to use -9.8 as the acceleration?

Yeah basically. I was confused because he was going up and I kept thinking gravity in terms of falling down. So I wanted to make sure that gravity is the same when going up as well.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the influence of only gravity, with no other forces acting on it.

3. How do you calculate the acceleration of a free falling object?

The acceleration of a free falling object can be calculated using the equation a = g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s² on Earth.

4. How does the position of a free falling object change over time?

The position of a free falling object changes according to the equation d = 1/2 * g * t², where d is the distance traveled, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed.

5. How does air resistance affect free falling objects?

Air resistance, or drag, can slow down the acceleration of a free falling object. As the object falls faster, the air resistance increases, until it reaches a point where the air resistance is equal to the force of gravity, and the object falls at a constant speed, known as terminal velocity.