Find the Line Tangent to y=x^3-2 at (0,-18)

In summary, to find the line passing through the point (0,-18) and tangent to the curve y=x^3-2, we can use the slope-intercept form of a line and set the slope equal to the derivative of the curve at the point of tangency. Solving for x will give us the x value for a point on the curve, which can then be used to find the equation of the tangent line.
noonan

Homework Statement

Find the line passing through the point (0,-18) and tangent to the curve y=x^3-2 at some point.

Homework Equations

y=mx+b

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know the derivative is 3x^2, and that should be the slope of the line at the point of tangency. I'm just not sure how to find out what point the curve shares with the line! I know that seems like a pretty bad attempt at a solution, I just need a hint about where to start with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org

The line you want passes passes through a point on the curve y = x3 - 2 , so, as an ordered pair, this point is (x, x3 - 2). The slope of the line is given as
m = 3x2, for the same value of x that's in the ordered pair.

Now, we could use the point - slope form of a line, but the point given to us is the y intercept for any line passing through it. Use the slope-intercept form of a line. y = mx + b, where b = -18.

(x3 - 2) = (3x2)(x) - 18 .

Solve this equation for x, to find the x value for a point on the parabola.

What is the equation of the line tangent to y=x^3-2 at (0,-18)?

The equation of the line tangent to y=x^3-2 at (0,-18) is y=-18.

How do I find the slope of the tangent line to y=x^3-2 at (0,-18)?

The slope of the tangent line to y=x^3-2 at (0,-18) is equal to the derivative of the function y=x^3-2, which is 3x^2. Plugging in x=0, we get a slope of 0.

What is the significance of the point (0,-18) in relation to the tangent line of y=x^3-2?

The point (0,-18) is the point of tangency, meaning it is the point where the tangent line touches the curve y=x^3-2 at a single point, and has the same slope as the curve at that point.

How do I graph the line tangent to y=x^3-2 at (0,-18)?

To graph the line tangent to y=x^3-2 at (0,-18), plot the point (0,-18) on the graph and use the slope of 0 to draw a horizontal line passing through that point. This line will be the tangent line to the curve at (0,-18).

Can I find the equation of the tangent line to y=x^3-2 at any other point besides (0,-18)?

Yes, you can find the equation of the tangent line to y=x^3-2 at any point by taking the derivative of the function and plugging in the x-coordinate of the desired point. The resulting slope will be used in the point-slope form of a line to find the equation of the tangent line.