Dispersion vs. time-dependence

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dispersion
In summary: So you are basically saying that the permittivity does not change with respect to the frequency of the wave.In summary, the two books on electrodynamics use similar assumptions to solve Maxwell's equations, with the first one assuming a linear regime, isotropic and transparent medium, and no dispersion of the permittivity. The second book adds the assumption of time-invariance of the permittivity, which can be considered equivalent to having a dispersionless permittivity. This means that the permittivity does not change with respect to the frequency of the incident waves, which can be seen through the Fourier Transform.
Niles
Hi

I have two books about electrodynamics that solve Maxwell's Equations. The first one uses the assumptions

1) Linear regime (i.e. not strong fields)
2) Isotropic medium (so disregard tensor nature of ε)
3) Transparent medium (i.e. a real ε)
4) No dispersion of ε

In the second book, they use (1)-(3) as well, but (4) is now stated as

4) ε is time-invariant

Now, my questions is: How can time-invariance of ε be the same as ε not having dispersion? Because if ε is constant in time, then Fourier-transforming it will give me a delta-function. So ε *will* depend on ω. What is wrong with my reasoning so far?

Thanks for any help.Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not need to assume these assumptions for Maxwell's equations (though it does greatly simplify the solving of the equations) so I don't think you need to assume that the two are the same. I would say that real \epsilon and dispersionless \epsilon are equivalent. The real and imaginary parts of the permittivity are related by a Hilbert transform called the Kramers-Kronig relation. If you have loss (imaginary part) this requires that the real part be frequency dependent (dispersion). So a dispersionless permittivity has to be lossless.

But I guess you can say they are equivalent because if you had dispersion and you had the situation where you sent a wave of 1MHz and then say 25 MHz then you would see that the \epsilon must change according to the frequency at hand (of course since we are doing time limited pulses there will be a bandwidth of frequencies in fact). So if you took the Fourier Transform you would get two pulses that would be associated with the two frequencies that you used. So if the permittivity does not change in time, then it can't change in response to a changing frequency in the incident waves and thus if you would find that for all frequencies that the epsilon would be constant. I guess you have to think of the Fourier Transform being done with respect to the behavior of the epsilon in time with respect to the frequency of the waves.

What is dispersion?

Dispersion is the phenomenon where light waves spread out as they travel through a medium. This can be caused by differences in the speed of light for different wavelengths.

What is time-dependence?

Time-dependence is the concept that a physical quantity or property can change over time. In the context of dispersion, it refers to how the amount of dispersion can vary depending on the time the light wave spends traveling through a medium.

What is the difference between dispersion and time-dependence?

The main difference between dispersion and time-dependence is that dispersion refers to the spreading out of light waves in a medium, while time-dependence refers to the change in amount of dispersion over time. In other words, dispersion is a physical phenomenon, while time-dependence is a concept that describes how dispersion can change over time.

How do dispersion and time-dependence affect light waves?

Dispersion and time-dependence can affect light waves by altering their properties such as wavelength, speed, and direction. This can lead to changes in the appearance and behavior of light, such as producing rainbows or causing images to blur.

What are some real-world examples of dispersion and time-dependence?

Some real-world examples of dispersion and time-dependence include the formation of rainbows, the blurring of images caused by atmospheric conditions, and the separation of colors in a prism. Additionally, these concepts are important in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and spectroscopy.