I'm a mechanical engineer,wanna be a physicist,HOW?

• Thread starter naveen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanical
In summary: I am thinking of doing BS(physics major) through distance learnig.I am 21 now.tell me what do I do.You should first select a field of interest and then select an institute which suits your interest. There are many institutes of international repute in India that one can select. There are three main fields which one select: high energy physics, astrophysics and condensed matter. You can visit the webpages of various research institutes.find the information about the phd programs of: TIFR, IUCAA, RRI, IISC, PRL, HRI,IMSC, IITK, DU, IIA, and others.For admission in phd courses in most
naveen
Dear Sir
I am Naveen.I'll be completing my Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering this year,in INDIA.
I have always been fascinated by phsics,physicists and the idea of being a physicist.But,as you might be aware,in INDIA getting into pure sciences cannot earn you your bread and butter.More over the brightest minds prefer engineering over Pure sciences.
So,I too, had to get into an engineering college.Now I also have a job in a Diesel Engine Manufacturing company,that pay well.
But,I do not know how to go ahead and pursue learning in physics.What can I possibly do now?
Your Advise can change my life.
I am thinking of doing BS(physics major) through distance learnig.I am 21 now.tell me what do I do.

Anxiously awaiting your reply
Naveen N.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi,
you are most welcome in physics, I do not think there is less money in theoretical physics in india. I know many people who have shifted to physics from engineering. There are a few points which one should keep in mind. Firstly choose your field of interest and then select an institute which suits your interest. There are many institutes of internatonal repute in India that one can select. There are three main fields which one select: high energy physics, astrophysics and condensed matter. You can visit the webpages of various research institutes.
find the information about the phd programs of: TIFR, IUCAA, RRI, IISC, PRL, HRI,
IMSC, IITK, DU, IIA, and others.
For admission in phd courses in most indian institutes, you need either an msc in physics/maths or a b.tech in engineering.
If you want to study abroad then go ahead and try for GRE.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THERE IS NO LACK OF MONEY IN THEORETICAL PHYSICS IN INDIA & ABROAD IF YOU HAVE
A REPUTED PHD DEGREE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
Can you also give info about institutes which offer undergraduate courses(Bsc) also?
Or is it better to go for Btech,if I am interested in Reasearch in Theoritical Physics?
Thanks in advance.

hi,
If you do not have a B. Tech or M. Sc degree than wait, you have a lot of time.
want to do something smart, try for the Integrated M.Sc of IIT KGP and IITK
this is the best possible master program in India, otherwisw do B.Tech,
you can try for ordinary M.sc of IITS but for that you need B.SC

hey naveen! in the same boat as you, I'm currently studying electrical engineering but very interested to do research in physics. presonally i think i'll msc(in phyiscs ofcourse!) after obtaining my B'eng degree and hopefully continue foor a Phd and postdoc? lol long way to go for me, I'm just in first year :tongue2: . Just do what YOU want to do in life, you only get to live once...

naveen said:
Your Advise can change my life.
oh and, DONT let YOUR choice be influenced by what other say, including those on this forum.

naveen said:
Dear Sir
I have always been fascinated by phsics,physicists and the idea of being a physicist.

You're a traitor! :biggrin: :rofl:

naveen said:
I am thinking of doing BS(physics major) through distance learnig.I am 21 now.tell me what do I do.

I recommend you do just that. It will not be especially disruptive to your present position, and will be a good test of your determination, ability and inclination. At the end of this program, if you still feel like want to do physics, you can take steps.

Right now, I do think it is risky to throw away all that you've acquired, for the sake of something that you may know little about.

cosmoboy said:
hi,
If you do not have a B. Tech or M. Sc degree than wait, you have a lot of time.
want to do something smart, try for the Integrated M.Sc of IIT KGP and IITK
this is the best possible master program in India, otherwisw do B.Tech,
you can try for ordinary M.sc of IITS but for that you need B.SC
I am doing my 12th Std.(12th grade for US)
Thanks for your advice.It is sad to see that almost none of the institutes you told about offer any program less than Phd and Post Phd.

1. How can a mechanical engineer become a physicist?

There are a few steps you can take to transition from mechanical engineering to physics. First, focus on taking courses in physics, mathematics, and computer science to gain a strong foundation in the fundamentals of physics. Next, consider pursuing a graduate degree in physics to deepen your understanding and gain practical research experience. You may also want to network with physicists and attend conferences to learn more about the field and potential career opportunities.

2. What skills are transferable from mechanical engineering to physics?

Many skills from mechanical engineering are transferable to physics, including problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematical modeling. Additionally, your knowledge of mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials can be valuable in certain areas of physics. Your experience with computer-aided design (CAD) and programming can also be useful in conducting simulations and data analysis.

3. Are there specific areas of physics that are more suitable for mechanical engineers?

Yes, there are certain areas of physics that are more closely related to mechanical engineering, such as classical mechanics, fluid mechanics, and solid mechanics. These fields often require a strong understanding of engineering principles and can be a natural fit for those with a background in mechanical engineering.

4. Will I need to go back to school to become a physicist?

It depends on your current education and career goals. If you have a degree in mechanical engineering, you may be able to transition to a career in physics without going back to school. However, if you want to conduct research or pursue a specific area of physics, a graduate degree in physics may be necessary to gain the necessary knowledge and skills.

5. What are the job prospects for someone with a background in both mechanical engineering and physics?

Having a background in both mechanical engineering and physics can make you a valuable candidate for a variety of positions, including research and development, design, and consulting roles. You may also have the opportunity to work in interdisciplinary fields, such as biophysics or materials science. Overall, the demand for individuals with a strong background in both mechanical engineering and physics is growing, making it a promising career path.