What is the rotational kinetic energy of one molecule of Cl2

In summary, the two Cl atoms in a rotating diatomic molecule of chlorine (Cl2) are 2.00e-10 m apart and rotate with an angular speed of 1.40e12 rad/s. The rotational kinetic energy of one molecule of Cl2, with a molar mass of 70.0 g/mol, can be calculated using the formula E_c = (1/4)*r^2*w^2, where r is the distance between the two atoms and w is the angular speed. To find the value of r, the relationship between the number of particles (n), the mass (m), and the molar mass (M) can be used, along with the definition of Avogadro's
Kawrae
In a crude model of a rotating diatomic molecule of chlorine (Cl2), the two Cl atoms are 2.00e-10 m apart and rotate about their center of mass with angular speed w = 1.40e12 rad/s. What is the rotational kinetic energy of one molecule of Cl2, which has a molar mass of 70.0 g/mol?

>> I wasn't exactly sure how to do this, so I thought I'd try with the rotational kinetic formula from the first half of General Physics. That formula was 1/2(m)(r^2)(w^2). I don't think it gave me the answer they were looking for... it wants an answer in Joules and I'm not sure where to start or how to finish it. Or if this is even along the right steps to take...

:grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay... I have:

r=2.00e-10 m
w=1.40e12 rad/s
m=70.0 g/mol

1/2 m(r^2)(w^2)
= 1/2 (70)(2.00e-10)^2(1.40e12)^2
= 2.74e6 J

Hmmm... is r wrong? Or should I change w to degrees? I'm not sure what to do... :yuck:

Kawrae said:
Okay... I have:

r=2.00e-10 m
w=1.40e12 rad/s
m=70.0 g/mol

1/2 m(r^2)(w^2)
= 1/2 (70)(2.00e-10)^2(1.40e12)^2
= 2.74e6 J

Hmmm... is r wrong? Or should I change w to degrees? I'm not sure what to do... :yuck:

It's good practice to include the units when showing your working. Correcting your working,

K = 1/2 (70.0 g/mol)(2.00e-10 m)^2 (1.4e12 rad/s)
= 2.74e6 g m^2/mol/s.

Now, I'm not sure what the significance of that derived unit is, but it's certainly not energy :wink:.

Your equation [itex]K = \frac{1}{2}Mr^2\omega^2[/itex] is clearly wrong as it is dimensionally inconsistent --- one side has units of kg m^2/s^2 and the other has g m^2/mol/s. The equation you're looking for is [itex]K = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/itex] where [itex]I[/itex] is the moment of inertia of the rotating body. The equation for the moment of inertia of a continuous body is [itex]I= \int r^2\, dm[/itex], which, for the Cl[itex]_2[/itex] molecule is given by the discrete sum [itex]I = (1.00E-10 {\rm m})^2 m + (1.00E-10 {\rm m})^2 m[/itex]. To find the value of [itex]m[/itex], use the relationships[itex]n = \frac{m}{M}[/itex] and [itex]n = \frac{N}{N_\mathrm{A}}[/itex]. That should be all the info you need to complete the question.

P.S. Avoid using degrees at all in physics, except in particular disciplines such as astronomy.

Hi Kawrae,

In my opinion you are not so wrong with your approach. E_c=(1/2)*m*v^2 must work for all physical systems. When you have two particles in system you must add the two corresponding energies. But, m must be the mass of the particle (in Kg) and v=r*w where r is the radius of the trajectory (and not the relative distance between particles). So, you have

E_c=(1/2)*m*(r/2)^2*w^2+(1/2)*m*(r/2)^2*w^2=m*(r/2)^2*w^2=(1/4)*r^2*w^2

(here r is the distance between the two particles...then r/2 is the radius of the trajectory)

Now you have to calculate the mass m of a single atom (see the post of jdstokes).

Good luck!

Last edited:

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its rotation. It is a form of kinetic energy and is dependent on the object's mass, moment of inertia, and angular velocity.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The rotational kinetic energy of an object can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where E is the rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. It is dependent on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

4. How does the rotational kinetic energy of Cl2 molecules differ from other molecules?

The rotational kinetic energy of a molecule is dependent on its moment of inertia, which is determined by its shape and distribution of mass. Since Cl2 molecules have a linear shape, their moment of inertia and rotational kinetic energy may differ from other molecules with different shapes.

5. How does the rotational kinetic energy of a molecule affect its behavior?

The rotational kinetic energy of a molecule affects its behavior by determining its rotational motion. Molecules with higher rotational kinetic energy will have a greater tendency to rotate and can exhibit different physical and chemical properties compared to molecules with lower rotational kinetic energy.