Can we experience plasma by rubbing hands together?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of plasma and its connection to rubbing hands together. The speaker in a seminar claimed that this action can generate the presence of plasma, but the other person argues that it is simply static electricity and that plasma is only created through ionization of gases. The conversation ends with a clarification that rubbing hands together may produce heat, but not plasma, as our hands are dielectric material.
121910marj
Here's the story, me and my boyfriend share things we learned from attending seminars.
He told me that a speaker in one of the seminars he attended last month told them that by rubbing our two hands together, we could experience the presence of 'plasma' - the fourth state of matter. Here's exactly what he asked me to do:

1.) Rub hands together in few minutes and take a deep breath
2.) slowly move your hands apart while rubbing
3.) then you will experience quite an attraction, the speaker referred to as plasma

i argued that what we experience by rubbing both hands is static electricity and plasma exists when gases get ionized upon heated, like the sun and gases in a fluorescent lamp.

Am I right? or am I missing something else.

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric field accelerates electrons, causing collision. High-energy electrons can ionize the atom upon collision. Of course heat and light can do the same.

You may or may not generate some electrostatic charge by rubbing your hands together vigourously and then separating them.

You certainly will NOT generate plasma. Your definition of plasma seems "spot on".

I think what we feel when we rub hands together is heat but not plasma. The plasma is the flowing of ionized charge. Our hands are dielectric material, so it is not reasonable to have ions by rubbing hand.

thank you all for the replies, very well appreciated. :)

1. What exactly is plasma and how is it created?

Plasma is a state of matter that exists at extremely high temperatures. It is created when gas is heated to the point that the electrons are stripped from the atoms, resulting in a highly charged and energetic mixture of ions and free electrons.

2. Can we experience plasma by simply rubbing our hands together?

No, rubbing your hands together does not generate enough heat to create plasma. Plasma requires temperatures of thousands of degrees to be formed.

3. Is there any way to experience plasma without expensive equipment?

Yes, you can experience plasma by observing natural phenomena such as lightning and the Northern Lights. However, these occurrences are not easily replicated and should be observed from a safe distance.

4. How is plasma used in modern technology?

Plasma has many practical applications, including in fluorescent lights, plasma televisions, and fusion reactors. It is also used in industrial processes such as cutting, welding, and sterilization.

5. Can plasma be dangerous to humans?

Yes, plasma can be dangerous to humans as it is extremely hot and can cause severe burns. It can also emit harmful radiation and high-energy particles. It is important to handle plasma with caution and protective gear when necessary.