Difference between Essential a Natural BC's

In summary, the book states that a boundary condition involving one or more variables in a 'direct' way is essential if a result is to be definite. Otherwise it is a natural boundary condition.
bugatti79
Folks,

I am looking at the Ritz method for the following problem

##\displaystyle -\frac{d^2 u}{dx^2}-u+x^2=0## for ##0<x<1##

with boundary conditions ##u(0)=0## and ##\displaystyle \frac{du}{dx} |_{x=1} =1##

The last derivative term, how do I know whether that is a natural or essential BC?

I have googled the following guidelines but I am still confused.

Specification of the primary variable ( u in this case) is an essential BC*
Specification of a secondary variable (like a force F, not present in this example) is a natural boundary condition

IF a boundary condition involves one or more variables in a 'direct' way it is essential otherwise it is natural.
Direct implies excluding derivative of the primary function.**

I find this info conflicting based on * and **
I think the book states it is a natural BC.

Would appreciate some clarification...
THanks

Physics news on Phys.org
IF a boundary condition involves one or more variables in a 'direct' way it is essential otherwise it is natural.
Direct implies excluding derivative of the primary function.**

As I understand the difference:

What is meant is that direct gives an expression that yields a definite value for (in this case) u.

for example u(0) = 0 says that at x=0 the value of u is zero.

This is contrasted by natural expression which does not lead to a definite value of u.

for example

[tex]{\left[ {\frac{{du}}{{dx}}} \right]_{x = 1}} = 1[/tex]

does not yield a definite value for u at x = 1 since a curve of slope 1 can be drawn through any value of u.

However this is really just classification for the sake of it and nothing to worry about.

Studiot said:
As I understand the difference:

What is meant is that direct gives an expression that yields a definite value for (in this case) u.

for example u(0) = 0 says that at x=0 the value of u is zero.

This is contrasted by natural expression which does not lead to a definite value of u.

for example

[tex]{\left[ {\frac{{du}}{{dx}}} \right]_{x = 1}} = 1[/tex]

does not yield a definite value for u at x = 1 since a curve of slope 1 can be drawn through any value of u.

However this is really just classification for the sake of it and nothing to worry about.

Thank you sir, that explains it nicely. I might be back with other BC type q's :-)

What is the difference between essential and natural BC's?

Essential BC's are those that are necessary for the functioning of an organism, while natural BC's are those that are found in nature and are not artificially created.

Can essential BC's be natural BC's?

Yes, essential BC's can also be natural BC's if they are found in nature and are necessary for the functioning of an organism.

What are some examples of essential BC's?

Examples of essential BC's include proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals.

Are all natural BC's essential?

No, not all natural BC's are essential. Some natural BC's may not be necessary for the functioning of an organism.

Why is it important to understand the difference between essential and natural BC's?

Understanding the difference between essential and natural BC's is important because it can help us make informed decisions about our diet and overall health. Essential BC's are necessary for our body to function properly, while natural BC's may not always be beneficial for us.