Equation of non-symmetric cone for fuel consumption maps

In summary: Your name]In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of fuel consumption maps for vehicle simulation software, which require data on RPM, engine power, and fuel consumption or engine efficiency. Two different graphs are mentioned, one using RPM, engine power, and consumption, and the other using efficiency. The idea of a non-symmetric cone is introduced and the forum user is seeking a general equation to describe the graph. Suggestions for creating accurate fuel consumption maps include using mathematical models such as the BSFC map and regression analysis, and consulting with experts in the field for guidance.
aLEx7
Dear Brains

I am working on fuel consumption maps to be included in vehicle simulation software to calculate the fuel consumption. To be able to create the map you need 3 things : RPM, Engine Power, and consumption (kgr/h) or efficiency of the engine (Depending on the consumption). You take all the points and you make a graph like this when using rpm, engine power and consumption: http://www.google.it/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1280&bih=894&tbm=isch&tbnid=lFKKLjGllcy7FM:&imgrefurl=http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/442/442-073/442-073.html&imgurl=http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/442/442-073/L_IMG_442-073-3.jpg&w=700&h=434&ei=gQo-UJiME-ja4QTU24CwBQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=287&sig=101014921224332976206&page=1&tbnh=131&tbnw=211&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0,i:108&tx=133&ty=92

which is 2 polynomials equation z(x,y) (or something like this)

If you substitute the consumption with the efficiency you will get a graph like this:http://www.google.it/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1280&bih=894&tbm=isch&tbnid=G_JtyTAq1f6S7M:&imgrefurl=http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/vvt-18559.html&imgurl=http://ecomodder.com/wiki/images/e/ee/Ford_2.0l_zetec_bsfc.JPG&w=474&h=334&ei=gQo-UJiME-ja4QTU24CwBQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=613&vpy=567&dur=8454&hovh=188&hovw=268&tx=131&ty=72&sig=101014921224332976206&page=2&tbnh=149&tbnw=211&start=20&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:20,i:146

I know that here the y-axis is torque but is the same idea

This i can describe it with my little knowledge of mathematics as a non-symmetric cone. Is anyone that could give a general equation that will described this graph? I know that is not only one equation it should be multiple equations. But I can not find any info around the internet or I am really not searching well

Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
!

Thank you for sharing your project with us. It sounds like you are working on a very interesting and important topic. I can offer some insight and suggestions for your fuel consumption maps.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the relationship between RPM, engine power, and fuel consumption is not a simple one. It is affected by many factors such as engine design, fuel type, and driving conditions. Therefore, creating a general equation to describe this relationship may not be possible.

However, there are some mathematical models that can help you understand and predict the behavior of fuel consumption in different situations. One such model is the Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) map, which is commonly used in the automotive industry. This map shows the relationship between engine speed and torque, and how it affects fuel consumption.

Another approach is to use regression analysis to create a mathematical model that can predict fuel consumption based on different variables such as engine load, air-fuel ratio, and engine speed. This approach may require a large amount of data and some statistical knowledge, but it can provide a more accurate and personalized fuel consumption map for your simulation software.

I would also recommend consulting with experts in the field of automotive engineering or fuel consumption modeling for further guidance and resources. They may be able to offer valuable insights and assistance in developing your fuel consumption maps.

Overall, the key to creating an accurate and useful fuel consumption map is to gather as much data as possible and use appropriate mathematical models to analyze and interpret it. I wish you all the best in your project and hope this information helps you in your research.

1. What is an equation of non-symmetric cone for fuel consumption maps?

The equation of non-symmetric cone for fuel consumption maps is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the fuel consumption of a vehicle and its speed and load conditions. It takes into account the non-symmetric shape of the cone of fuel consumption, which means that the fuel consumption is not the same for all speeds and loads.

2. How is the equation of non-symmetric cone derived?

The equation of non-symmetric cone is derived using experimental data from fuel consumption tests on a specific vehicle. The data is then analyzed and a mathematical model is created to represent the relationship between fuel consumption, speed, and load. The model is refined and validated through further testing.

3. What are the variables in the equation of non-symmetric cone?

The variables in the equation of non-symmetric cone include speed, load, and fuel consumption. Other factors, such as engine type and driving conditions, may also be taken into account depending on the specific model being used.

4. How is the equation of non-symmetric cone used in practice?

The equation of non-symmetric cone is used in the automotive industry to optimize fuel efficiency and improve vehicle performance. It is also used in research and development to design more efficient engines and to predict the fuel consumption of upcoming models.

5. What are the limitations of the equation of non-symmetric cone?

The equation of non-symmetric cone is based on experimental data and may not accurately represent the fuel consumption of all vehicles. It also does not take into account external factors such as weather conditions and driving style. Additionally, the equation may need to be adjusted for different engine types and vehicle designs.