Solving an IVP using Laplace Transforms.

In summary, Solving an IVP using Laplace Transforms can be difficult. Make sure to check your work for mistakes before proceeding.
geno678
Solving an IVP using Laplace Transforms. HELP!

Ok I'm supposed to Solve this problem using Laplace Transforms.

[tex] \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}+2\frac{dx}{dt}+x = 5e^{-2t} + t [/tex]

Initial Conditions

x (0) = 2 ; [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} (0) = -3 [/tex]

so I transformed the the IVP and it looks like this

[tex] s^2 x(s) - s x(s) - x (0) + 2 x(s) - x(0) + x(s) = \frac{5}{s+2} + \frac {1}{s^2} [/tex]

Then I plugged in my initial conditions[tex] s^2 x(s) + 3s - 2 + 2 x(s) - 2 + x(s) = \frac{5}{s+2} + \frac {1}{s^2} [/tex]Then I factored the x(s) on the left side, and found a common denominator on the right side

[tex] s^2 x(s) + 2 x(s) + x(s) + 3s - 4 = \frac{5}{s+2} + \frac {1}{s^2} [/tex][tex] s^2 x(s) + 2 x(s) + x(s) + 3s - 4 = \frac{5}{s+2}*\frac {s^2}{s^2} + \frac {1}{s^2} *\frac {s+2}{s+2} [/tex]

[tex] s^2 x(s) + 2 x(s) + x(s) + 3s - 4 = \frac{5s^2}{(s+2)s^2} + \frac {s+2}{(s^2)(s+2)}[/tex]

[tex] s^2 x(s) + 2 x(s) + x(s) + 3s - 4 = \frac{5s^2 + s + 2}{(s+2)s^2} [/tex]

[tex] (s^2 + 2s + 1) x(s) = \frac{5s^2 + s + 2}{(s+2)s^2} - 3s +4 [/tex]

Then I found x(s)

[tex] (s+1)(s+1) x(s) = \frac{5s^2 + s + 2}{(s+2)s^2} (- 3s +4)*\frac{(s+2)s^2}{(s+2)s^2} [/tex]

[tex](-3s +4)*(s^3 + 2s^2) = -3s^4 - 6s^3 + 4s^3 + 8s^2 [/tex]

[tex] x(s) = \frac{5s^2 + s + 2 -3s^4 - 6s^3 + 4s^3 + 8s^2 }{(s+2)(s^2)(s+1)^2} [/tex]

[tex] x(s) = \frac{13s^2 + s + 2 -3s^4 -2s^3 }{(s+2)(s^2)(s+1)^2} [/tex]

Now I used the heaviside theorem to find the residues.

[tex] x(s) = \frac{13s^2 + s + 2 -3s^4 -2s^3 }{(s+2)(s^2)(s+1)^2} = \frac{R1}{s} + \frac{R2}{s^2} + \frac{R3}{s+2} + \frac{R4}{(s+1)^2} + \frac{R5}{s+1} [/tex]

Ok so here is where I'm stuck. Say I try to solve for R3.

[tex] R3 = (s+2) x(s) |s = -2 , \frac{13s^2 + s + 2 -3s^4 -2s^3 }{(s^2)(s+1)^2} | s = -2 ] = 5 [/tex]

Ok so I got the correct residue for R3, but now I'm stuck what do I do after this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi !

OK. R3=5
Why not doing the same for the other coefficients ?
multiply by (s+1)² to compute R4
multiply by s² to obtain R2

geno678 said:
Ok I'm supposed to Solve this problem using Laplace Transforms.

[tex] \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}+2\frac{dx}{dt}+x = 5e^{-2t} + t [/tex]

Initial Conditions

x (0) = 2 ; [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} (0) = -3 [/tex]

so I transformed the the IVP and it looks like this

[tex] s^2 x(s) - s x(s) - x (0) + 2 x(s) - x(0) + x(s) = \frac{5}{s+2} + \frac {1}{s^2} [/tex]

Before you get too deep into your calculation, you might want to double check this result. The Laplace transform of the second derivative is

$$\mathcal L[\ddot{x}(t)](s) = s^2 X(s) - s x(t=0) - \dot{x}(t=0),$$
whereas you seem to have written

$$s^2 X(s) - sX(s) - x(0).$$
(I'm writing ##X(s)## for the transform to make it easier to distinguish from x(t)).

When you transform the first derivative term, it also looks like you didn't factor through the 2 : you wrote ##2X(s)-x(t=0)## instead of ##2X(s) - 2x(t=0)##.

Mute said:
Before you get too deep into your calculation, you might want to double check this result. The Laplace transform of the second derivative is

(I'm writing ##X(s)## for the transform to make it easier to distinguish from x(t)).

When you transform the first derivative term, it also looks like you didn't factor through the 2 : you wrote ##2X(s)-x(t=0)## instead of ##2X(s) - 2x(t=0)##.

Oh I see it now that's why I've been messing up. Thanks.

Last edited:

Mute said:

So it ends up becoming

[tex] s^2 X(s) - s X(0) - \dot{x}(0) [/tex]

Which in turn becomes

[tex] s^2 X(s) - 2s +3 [/tex]

1. What is an Initial Value Problem (IVP)?

An Initial Value Problem (IVP) is a type of differential equation that involves finding a function that satisfies both the given differential equation and a set of initial conditions. These initial conditions are usually given in the form of specific values for the function and its derivative at a particular point.

2. How can Laplace Transforms be used to solve an IVP?

Laplace Transforms are a mathematical tool that can be used to transform a given differential equation into an algebraic equation, making it easier to solve. By applying Laplace Transforms to both sides of the differential equation, it can be reduced to a simpler form that can be solved using algebraic methods.

3. What are the advantages of using Laplace Transforms to solve an IVP?

One of the main advantages of using Laplace Transforms is that they can be used to solve a wide range of differential equations, including those that are not easily solved using traditional methods. Additionally, Laplace Transforms can also handle problems with discontinuous or singular solutions.

4. Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transforms for solving an IVP?

While Laplace Transforms are a powerful tool, they do have some limitations. They may not be suitable for solving certain types of differential equations, such as those with variable coefficients or higher order derivatives. In these cases, other methods may be more effective.

5. How can I check the accuracy of my solution using Laplace Transforms?

One way to check the accuracy of your solution is to use the inverse Laplace Transform to transform the solution back into the time domain. This can be compared to the original function and its initial conditions to ensure that the solution is correct. Additionally, using multiple methods to solve the same problem can also help verify the accuracy of your solution.