What is the pressure at the bottom of the flask?

• Thread starter NasuSama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluid
In summary, the problem involves three immiscible liquids poured into a large open cylinder to different depths. The total depth of the fluid is given and the goal is to find the pressure at the bottom of the cylinder. Using the formula for Pascal's principle, the pressure at the bottom is found to be 1.28 * 10^(5) Pa, which is the sum of the contributions of all three liquids. This is the gage pressure, and the total absolute pressure is 2.28 * 10^5 Pa.
NasuSama

Homework Statement

Liquid 1 (density [itex]ρ_{1}[/itex] = 8290 kg/m³) is poured into a large open cylinder to a depth of [itex]d_{1}[/itex] = 85.9 cm. Liquid 2 (density [itex]ρ_{2}[/itex] = 5695 kg/m³) is then poured on top of liquid 1 to a depth of [itex]d_{2}[/itex] = 70.3 cm. Then liquid 3 (density [itex]ρ_{3}[/itex] = 2933 kg/m³) is poured on top of liquid 2 to a depth of [itex]d_{3}[/itex] = 66.9 cm. Assume the liquids are immiscible (do not mix at all), so the total depth of the fluid is [itex]d_{TOT}[/itex] = 223.1 cm. Find P, the pressure at the bottom of the flask.

Homework Equations

I would assume that it's this formula, the Pascal's principle...

[itex]\Delta P = \rho g(\Delta h)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I combined all the values altogether to obtain the pressure, but it's incorrect. I've heard that someone said that the pressure at the bottom will be lower after adding the liquids on top. I am not sure how to show this. I can only think that Pascal's principle is the only formula to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am totally incorrect for this equation...

[itex]P = \rho_{3}d_{3}g - (\rho_{2}d_{2}g - \rho_{1}d_{1}g)[/itex]

NasuSama said:
I am totally incorrect for this equation...

[itex]P = \rho_{3}d_{3}g - (\rho_{2}d_{2}g - \rho_{1}d_{1}g)[/itex]

Hi again. The contributions of the three fluids add together to give the pressure at the bottom. All the minus signs in your equation should be plus signs.

Sorry for triple post. I do not know how this problem is approached. I have heard that someone said that the pressure at the bottom must be lower after the liquids are added to the top, but I still don't get how to show this by formula.

Chestermiller said:
Hi again. The contributions of the three fluids add together to give the pressure at the bottom. All the minus signs in your equation should be plus signs.

Then, I have...

[itex]Total = \rho_{1}d_{1}g + \rho_{2}d_{2}g + \rho_{3}d_{3}g[/itex]

However, that is not the pressure at the bottom. It's the pressure of the whole liquids, but not at the bottom.

NasuSama said:
Then, I have...

[itex]Total = \rho_{1}d_{1}g + \rho_{2}d_{2}g + \rho_{3}d_{3}g[/itex]

However, that is not the pressure at the bottom. It's the pressure of the whole liquids, but not at the bottom.

Yes, it is the pressure at the bottom, over and above atmospheric pressure. What make you think it is not? How do you define the term "the pressure of the whole liquids?"

Chestermiller said:
Yes, it is the pressure at the bottom, over and above atmospheric pressure. What make you think it is not? How do you define the term "the pressure of the whole liquids?"

I don't know.

Here is the answer I have. It's 1.28 * 10^(5) Pa, which is the previous answer I have. Did you get that answer with your calculator?

NasuSama said:
I don't know.

Here is the answer I have. It's 1.28 * 10^(5) Pa, which is the previous answer I have. Did you get that answer with your calculator?

Yes. This is the same answer I get for the gage pressure (the pressure over and above atmospheric pressure ) on the bottom. The atmospheric pressure is 1 * 10 ^5 Pa. So the total absolute pressure on the bottom is 2.28 * 10^5 Pa.

1. What is a combined fluid problem?

A combined fluid problem is a type of fluid dynamics problem that involves the simultaneous flow of two or more fluids, such as air and water, in a given system.

2. What are the applications of combined fluid problems?

Combined fluid problems have numerous applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and biomedical engineering. They are also used in environmental studies, such as predicting the effects of oil spills on water bodies.

3. How do you solve a combined fluid problem?

Solving a combined fluid problem involves applying the principles of fluid mechanics, including the equations of continuity, Bernoulli's equation, and the Navier-Stokes equations. This can be done analytically, numerically, or using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) methods.

4. What are the challenges of solving combined fluid problems?

One of the main challenges of solving combined fluid problems is the complexity of the equations involved. In addition, the non-linear nature of fluid flow can make it difficult to obtain exact solutions, and numerical methods may be required.

5. How can combined fluid problems be applied in real-world scenarios?

Combined fluid problems can be used to design and optimize various systems, such as aircraft wings, car engines, and biomedical devices. They can also be used to understand and predict the behavior of complex fluid systems, such as weather patterns and ocean currents.