Who's working on Strong AI and where?

In summary, there are mathematicians and researchers working on improving machine learning classifiers and general learning theories, but there is no known work being done on mathematical foundations of consciousness. Google and Numenta, founded by Jeff Hawkins, are also involved in the field of strong AI. However, the concept of consciousness is still ambiguous and there is no consensus on its definition.
Relative0
Who's working on "Strong AI" and where?

Time for me to move on for my PhD. I have become increasingly interested (have a theory of my own as I am sure many do) in Strong AI. There seem to be a decent number of postings (perhaps small in comparison with other areas of CS), those however are mostly discussions concerning the philosophy behind it. I am quite interested however in knowing who is doing what were - information on that seems to be quite lacking. I am looking for places (specifically people) who are seriously working on it. I know of generalities such as CMU, MIT, and Stanford - that they are spectacular in Computer Science - but are there people seriously working out a mathematical or some underlying foundation for consciousness (what I am most interested in)?

Any thoughts would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Physics news on Phys.org
There are mathematicians working on improving machine learning classifiers. There are also mathematicians working on general learning theories. I have not heard of any work done in mathematical foundations of consciousness though. What is consciousness by the way?

As far as the practice is concerned, I would add Google on to your list. They've collaborated with Stanford and have done cool things in the past. Geoffrey Hinton, who's a big name researcher in machine learning and neural networks, recently joined Google. There has been a trend of academics joining Google:

http://moalquraishi.wordpress.com/2...ve-says-about-the-future-of-machine-learning/

Last edited:
@goingmeta - thanks. The question "What is Consciousness" is a great one indeed, lots of thoughts on that one. That article is a great start. If anything else comes to mind, please drop a link or name.

Brian

There is a company called numenta, founded by Jeff Hawkins, that tries to understand and reproduce the way the brain works in software.
Jeff Hawkins is very interested in strong AI, he also wrote a book called "on intelligence"

Before you can ask what consciousness is you first need to define what the word "consciousness" means. As long as everyone has their own definition a sensible discussion of the subject is impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks DrZoidberg,

Yes, the consciousness ambiguity is a difficult problem, do you know if there have been any strong candidates for at least partially defining the term?

Brian

1. Who is currently working on Strong AI?

There are several research groups and companies working on Strong AI, including Google, OpenAI, DeepMind, and IBM, to name a few.

2. Where are these groups and companies located?

These groups and companies are located all over the world, with a concentration of them in the United States and Europe. However, there are also strong AI research efforts in countries such as Japan and China.

3. What are some notable projects in the field of Strong AI?

Some notable projects in the field of Strong AI include Google's AlphaGo, which was the first computer program to defeat a professional human player in the complex game of Go, and OpenAI's GPT-3, a language processing AI that has shown impressive capabilities in generating human-like text.

4. Are there any prominent researchers in the field of Strong AI?

Yes, there are several prominent researchers in the field of Strong AI, including Geoffrey Hinton, Yoshua Bengio, and Yann LeCun, who are often referred to as the "Godfathers of AI" for their groundbreaking work in deep learning.

5. How long has research on Strong AI been ongoing?

Research on Strong AI has been ongoing since the 1950s, with the first significant breakthrough in the field being the development of the perceptron algorithm by Frank Rosenblatt in 1957. However, recent advances in computing power and data availability have accelerated research and progress in this field.