Can you prove that this set is countable?

In summary: Thanks for the hint! In summary, the question asks for a suitable map from the naturals to the set of naturals that is not divisible by 3. The map is a bijection and it works.
Nylex
hi there

i just need a hint for this question please :

By giving a suitable map to or from N (thats a natural number N) proving that the set
{nEN | n is not divisible by 3}

thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, that doesn't make sense. What does E mean? What does nEN mean? Since N is apparently a natural number, I mean, rather than the set of natural numbers, what's Z? the integers?

im sorry maybe i didnt make myself clear enough

the N i am taking as the 'chalkboard' N used to signify the naturals
nEN meaning 'n' is an element of N

So, you're statement is

[tex] \{ n \in \mathbb{N}\ Z : n \notin 3\mathbb{N} \}[/tex]

still what does that Z signify? And filling in, (you ask us to prove something but don't state what exactly), are you're asking for an explicit bijection between the naturals and the set of naturals not divisible by 3? I only ask as there is no need to write down a bijection. The set is an infinite subset of the Naturals and is thus countably infinite, hence in bijection with N.

sorry the Z was a typo.

the question explicitly asks for a suitable map as part of the proof

OK. The map is, as always in these questions, since the set in question is a subset of N, we can order its elements using the ordering of N:

x(1) < x(2) <x(3)

since the subset is not finite, this produces an infinite string indexed by N. The map

n ---> x(n)

is a bijection from N to the subset in question.

matt grime's method surely works. Perhaps because I am not a "mathematically sophisticated" as he is, I didn't think of doing it that way. What I did was think, "All natural numbers that are NOT divisible by 3 are of the form 3n-1 and 3n- 2 (for n a positive integer). Since those are two distinct sets let's try mapping even numbers into one and odd numbers into the other:

If m is even, f(m)= 3(m/2)- 1, if m is odd, f(m)= 3((m+1)/2)- 2.
That means f(1)= 3((1+1)/2)- 2= 1, f(2)= 3(2/2)-1= 2, f(3)= 3((3+1)/2)-2= 4,
f(4)= 3(4/2)-1= 5, f(5)= 3((5+1)/2)- 2= 7, etc. Seems to work!

Nylex, can you prove that f is a bijection?

If a set A is countable than any subset B of a countable set will also be countable (theorem). The set you are descrbing is a subset of the naturals, and therefore countable. You have the set N/{3,6,9,12,15,...} which is a subset of the naturals and therefore countable. There is no need to find a bijection to show that the set is countable if you don't have to.

1. What is "Proof of countable sets"?

"Proof of countable sets" is a mathematical concept that refers to the demonstration of the existence or size of a countable set. A countable set is a set that has a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers, meaning that each element in the set can be mapped to a unique natural number.

2. Why is proving a set to be countable important?

Proving a set to be countable is important because it helps us understand the size and structure of a set. It also allows us to make conclusions about the set's properties and relationships with other sets. Additionally, many mathematical proofs and theorems rely on the concept of countability.

3. How is a set proven to be countable?

A set can be proven to be countable by showing that it can be put into one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This can be done by creating a list of all the elements in the set and assigning a unique natural number to each element, or by showing that the set can be divided into smaller, countable subsets.

4. Are all infinite sets countable?

No, not all infinite sets are countable. For example, the set of real numbers is uncountable, meaning that it cannot be put into one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This is known as the "uncountability of the real numbers" and was proven by the mathematician Georg Cantor in the late 19th century.

5. How is the concept of countability used in other areas of science?

The concept of countability is used in various areas of science, such as computer science, physics, and biology. In computer science, countability is important in the design and analysis of algorithms and data structures. In physics, countable sets are used to describe certain properties of particles and their interactions. In biology, countability is used in population studies and genetics to understand the size and diversity of different organisms and their characteristics.