Can You Make Your Own DC Generator for Your College Project?

In summary, the person is looking for a small DC generator that can produce 19v and 1.5A current at 1000rpm, equivalent to 30 watts of power, for a college project. They are seeking advice on where to find such a generator and suggest using old car parts as a potential solution. They also mention wanting a compact generator for easy handling.
Shahul shan
hello,
I need a dc generator which would generate 19v and 1.5A current(roughly i want it to generate 30watts of power) at 1000rpm. I require it for a college project. the size of the generator should be small so that i can handle it easily.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Shahul shan said:
hello,
I need a dc generator which would generate 19v and 1.5A current(roughly i want it to generate 30watts of power) at 1000rpm. I require it for a college project. the size of the generator should be small so that i can handle it easily.

Welcome to the PF.

What have you found with your Google searches so far? Do you want us to do those searches for you?

Have you looked around ?
Every old junk car is ripe with small dynamos for windshield wipers, heater fans, windows, rear view mirror positioners, seats, radio antenna raise/lower, electric fuel pump, ...

Get creative. Spin some with your electric drill and see what they'll do.

1. How do I determine the power requirements for my application?

To determine the power requirements for your application, you need to consider the electrical load that the generator will need to supply. This includes the voltage and current requirements of all the devices or equipment that will be connected to the generator. It's important to also factor in any potential future expansions or changes to your electrical load to ensure the generator can handle it.

2. What type of fuel should I use for my DC generator?

The type of fuel you should use for your DC generator will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some common options include gasoline, diesel, propane, and natural gas. Gasoline is typically the most readily available and affordable option, while diesel is more fuel-efficient and better suited for larger generators. Propane and natural gas are cleaner burning options, but may require additional equipment for storage and delivery.

3. How do I choose the right size DC generator?

Choosing the right size DC generator involves calculating the total power requirements of your application and selecting a generator that can provide enough power to meet those needs. It's important to also consider factors such as the generator's voltage and current ratings, as well as any additional features or capabilities that may be necessary for your specific application.

4. What are the main differences between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet generator?

The main difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet generator is the way they produce a magnetic field. Permanent magnet generators use fixed magnets to create a constant magnetic field, while electromagnet generators use an electrical current to create a magnetic field. This means that permanent magnet generators are typically more efficient and require less maintenance, but they may not be as powerful as electromagnet generators in certain applications.

5. How do I determine the appropriate speed for my DC generator?

The appropriate speed for your DC generator will depend on its design and intended use. Generally, the speed of a generator is determined by its RPM (revolutions per minute) rating. Higher RPMs typically result in a higher power output, but also require more fuel. It's important to consult the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines to determine the ideal speed for your specific generator.