Can You Calculate the Landing Point of a Ball on a Roof?

In summary: Remember, the ball is launched at 24.0m from the base of the building. So, the horizontal distance from the wall to where the ball lands should be (24.0m + distance from the wall to where the ball lands).In summary, the problem involves a ball being launched from a point 24.0 m from the base of a building and taking 2.20 s to reach a point vertically above the wall. The question asks to find the initial velocity of the ball, the vertical distance it clears the wall, and the horizontal distance from the wall to where it lands. Using the equations v=d/t and Δy=voyt-1/2gt^2, the initial velocity is found to be
jutman1776
Homework help needed!

the problem is stated as follows:
A playground is on the flat roof of a city school, 5.1 m above the street below (see figure). The vertical wall of the building is h = 6.20 m high, to form a 1.1-m-high railing around the playground. A ball has fallen to the street below, and a passerby returns it by launching it at an angle of θ = 53.0° above the horizontal at a point d = 24.0 m from the base of the building wall. The ball takes 2.20 s to reach a point vertically above the wall.

(a) Find the speed at which the ball was launched. (18.11 m/s)
(b) Find the vertical distance by which the ball clears the wall. (1.89)
(c) Find the horizontal distance from the wall to the point on the roof where the ball lands.

the answer to A) i got by V=d/t or v= 24 m/2.2 s and got 10.90 m/s then I divided 10.90/cos(53) and got the initial velocity of 18.11 m/s.
B) i did displacement of y=voyt-1/2gt2 or Δy= (14.46 m/s)(2.2 s)-1/2(9.80 m/s2)(2.2)2 and got 8.09 m/s then i subtracted that from the height of the building so 8.09 m/s-6.20 m= 1.89 m

C) this is where I am stumped i know you can use the quadratic equation but would like to learn the way in which you can use two different equations to bypass that. I just have no clue where to start.

thanks for the help in advance!,
Justin

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, jutman1776. Welcome to PF!

Can you figure out the y-component of velocity when the ball lands on the roof without first finding the time?

i did solve for the v-component as well which is 14.46 m/s

jutman1776 said:
i did solve for the v-component as well which is 14.46 m/s

That's the initial y-component of velocity. Can you find the final y-component of velocity at the instant the ball strikes the roof? Most textbooks will derive a formula that relates final velocity to initial velocity, acceleration, and displacement and does not contain the time. See if you can use this formula to determine the final y-component of velocity.

i used vy2=voy2+2ayΔy or Vy2=(14.46 m/s2)+2(-9.80 m/s)(25.89m) and got 26.76 m

jutman1776 said:
i used vy2=voy2+2ayΔy or Vy2=(14.46 m/s2)+2(-9.80 m/s)(25.89m) and got 26.76 m

How did you get Δy = 25.89m?

1. What is the definition of "forces" in the context of homework help?

Forces are defined as any interaction that causes a change in the motion or shape of an object. In the context of homework help, forces refer to the concepts and principles related to physics and mechanics that are used to solve problems and explain phenomena.

2. Why is it important to understand the forces needed in a problem?

Understanding the forces needed in a problem is crucial because it allows us to accurately predict and analyze the behavior of objects. This knowledge is essential in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and even everyday life.

3. What are the common types of forces that may be needed in a homework problem?

The most common types of forces that may be needed in a homework problem are gravity, friction, tension, normal force, and applied force. These forces can either be balanced or unbalanced, and they play a significant role in determining the motion and stability of objects.

4. How do I determine the forces needed in a homework problem?

To determine the forces needed in a homework problem, you need to carefully analyze the given scenario and identify all the relevant forces acting on the object. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and other principles to calculate the magnitude and direction of each force.

5. Can understanding forces help me solve real-world problems?

Absolutely! The principles and concepts related to forces are not only applicable to hypothetical problems but also to real-world situations. For example, understanding the forces involved in a car accident can help engineers design safer vehicles, and knowing the forces acting on a bridge can prevent structural failures.