Help Needed: Solving Integer Equations with GCD = 1 - Angelo Spina

In summary, a visitor of this site has tried to solve three problems but has not been successful. He asks for help from the person writing the summary. The problems are related to equations with integers and prime factors, and the visitor tries to solve them using a calculator. The visitor posts a solution for problems 2 and 3 that uses a well known relation for Pythagorean triples. The solution is inclusive of all solutions to the original equation.
angelo
I am a visitor of this beautiful site, my name is Angelo Spina, I would like to resolve the three following problems, in fact after many attempts I have not succeeded in it, for this reason I kindly ask you to give me a help.

PROBLEM 1.

If the equation y² + a p² = 2 x² (where a is a positive integer, p is an odd prime number) admits a solution (y,x) of integers with gcd(y,x)=1, how can I prove that the equation y² + p² = 2 x² also admits a solution (y,x) of integers with gcd(y,x)=1 ?

PROBLEM 2.

If the two equations y² + p² = 2 x² , y² + q² = 2 x² (where p and q are odd prime numbers) respectively admit the integer solutions (y',x') and (y '', x '') with gcd(y',x')=1 and gcd(y'',x'')=1, how can I prove that the equation y² + (pq)² = 2 x² also admits at least an integer solution (y*,x *) with gcd(y*,x*)=1 ? Is it possible to find a formula that allows to obtain (y*,x *) from the knowledge of (y',x') and (y '', x '') ?

PROBLEM 3.

If the equation y² + n² = 2 x² (where n is a positive integer greater than 3) admits integer solutions con gcd = 1, how can I prove that the equations
y² + p² = 2 x², y² + q² = 2 x², y² + r² = 2 x², y² + s² = 2 x²,..., (where p, q, r, s,...are the prime factors of n) also admit integer solutions con gcd=1?

Certain of your courtesy, I thank you very much.

Angelo.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and Welcome :biggrin:

Please can you tell us any work you have been able to do on this so far.

May I ask where these question arise from? If it's a basic course in number theory and you've done certain topics presumably these topics are of use in solving the problem (is there a similar problem in the notes/book that is solved)? Roughly what knowledge does this require to solve. If this is a problem from a class field theory text nook then we almost certainly won't know the answer. If its taken from a textbook at a level where observations such as 2 is a quadratic residue mod p^2 and a is a residue mod x^2 and 2x^2 are what the other proofs in the book/notes near to this one are involved then we possibly can help.

The solution starts with the simple identity that if Z is an odd square then (Z-1)/8 equals a triangular number, say A(A+1)/2. Set A(A+1)/2-A(A+1) = -A(A+1)/2 and make the substitution A = (X-1)/2. Multiply both sides of the resulting equation by 8 and substract 1 from each side gives Y^2-2X^2=-Z^2 or Y^2 + Z^2=2*X^2. This solves problems 2 and 3.

Last edited:
I posted the message on 7/2 before leaving to visit relatives. I then realized that my answer gave gcd > 1. I didn't have access to a computer but tried to work the "problem" with using a simple calculator. Unfortunately I used the equation y^2 + 2*x^2 = P^2 instead of y^2 + P^2 = 2*x^2. I will save this work for a separate post. As to the current problem I think the relation 2((x-y)^2+x^2)=(2x-y)^2 + y^2 will help. Simply use the well known relation for Pythagorean triples to get (x-y)^2 + x^2 = X^2 and set P= 2x-y this will give a general equation for solutions to Y^2 + P^2 = 2X^2 but I don't know if it is inclusive of all solutions.

What is the purpose of "Help Needed: Solving Integer Equations with GCD = 1 - Angelo Spina"?

The purpose of this task is to find solutions to integer equations where the greatest common divisor (GCD) of the coefficients is equal to 1. This can be a challenging mathematical problem and requires specific techniques to solve.

Who is Angelo Spina?

Angelo Spina is the name of the person who posted this task. They may be a student, researcher, or someone with a general interest in mathematics.

Why is finding solutions to integer equations with GCD = 1 important?

Integers with a GCD of 1 are known as relatively prime or coprime. These numbers have no common factors other than 1 and can be used in many mathematical applications, such as cryptography and factorization.

What techniques can be used to solve integer equations with GCD = 1?

There are various techniques that can be used, such as factoring, the Euclidean algorithm, and modular arithmetic. It is important to have a strong understanding of these concepts and how to apply them in solving equations.

What are some common challenges when solving integer equations with GCD = 1?

Some common challenges include identifying the GCD of the coefficients, choosing the most efficient method for solving, and dealing with large numbers. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions and to ensure all possible solutions are found.