Calculate Volume with Cylindrical Shells: y=x^2-3 & y=2x

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving finding the volume of a region bounded by a curve and a line when rotated around a specific line. The conversation includes a discussion of setting up the integral, finding the limits of integration, and calculating the volume using the method of cylindrical shells. One person points out a mistake in the initial calculation and the conversation ends with the correct solution being found using Mathematica.
Benny
Hi I'm stuck on an integration problem where I need to use the method of cylindrical shells to calculate a volume.

Q. Using the method of cylindrical shells, find the volume generated when the area bounded by the curve y = x^2 - 3 and the line y = 2x is revolved about the line x = 7.

The main thing that I'm having trouble with is setting up the integral. I think it's due to a limited conceptual understanding of what's going on with questions of this type. I started by drawing a quick sketch and finding the x values of intersection, x = +/- sqrt(3).

I drew a cylinder, with the vertical axis x = 7 going through its centre, around the region.

Volume(cylinder) = (circumference)(height)(thickness) = CHT

[tex]
C = 2\pi r = 2\pi \left( {7 - x} \right)
[/tex]

[tex]
H = 2x - \left( {x^2 - 3} \right) = - x^2 + 2x + 3
[/tex]

T = dx

[tex]
V = 2\pi \int\limits_{ - \sqrt 3 }^{\sqrt 3 } {\left( {7 - x} \right)\left( { - x^2 + 3x + 3} \right)dx}
[/tex]

That's what I came up with. I can't check to see if my answer is correct because I don't have the solution to the question. Any help with this question would be good thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the first thing you've done wrong is miscalculate the x values of the intersection of the curves. They are not [tex]\plusminus\sqrt{2}[/tex]!
Show how you got that value and we may be able to point out your mistake.
Other than that, it looks like you have the right integral.

So what'd you get Benny? To find the intersection of two curves f(x) and g(x), just set them equal to each other right? So set those two equal, solve for x and you have the limits of integration. I made a plot.

Attachments

• volume cylinders.JPG
    volume cylinders.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 394
Hmm...x^2 - 3 = 2x => (x-3)(x+1) = 0 => x = 3 or -1. I don't know how I got +/- sqrt(3) the first time around. Thanks for pointing that out.

So continuing from before(the quadratic should have a 2x term instead of 3x in my previous post).

[tex]
V = 2\pi \int\limits_{ - 1}^3 {\left( {7 - x} \right)} \left( { - x^2 + 2x + 3} \right)dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= 2\pi \int\limits_{ - 1}^3 {\left( {x - 7} \right)\left( {x^2 - 2x - 3} \right)dx}
[/tex]

[tex]
= 2\pi \int\limits_{ - 1}^3 {\left( {x^3 - 9x^2 + 11x + 21} \right)dx}
[/tex]

[tex]
= 2\pi \left[ {\frac{{x^4 }}{4} - 3x^3 + \frac{{11x^2 }}{2} + 21x} \right]_{ - 1}^3
[/tex]

[tex]
= 2\pi \left( {\left( {\frac{{81}}{4} - 81 + \frac{{99}}{2} + 63} \right) - \left( {\frac{1}{4} + 3 + \frac{{11}}{2} - 21} \right)} \right)
[/tex]

[tex]
\mathop = \limits^{calculator} 128\pi
[/tex]

Edit: BTW saltydog, which program do you use to draw those sketch graphs?

Benny said:
[tex]
[/tex]

That's what I got. I use Mathematica. Try and check it out. Your school should have it. You know, Mathematica is also good to back-substitute solutions into ODEs to verify the solutions. Good for lots of other things too.:smile:

Benny said:
[tex]
[/tex]

saltydog said:
That's what I got. I use Mathematica. Try and check it out. Your school should have it. You know, Mathematica is also good to back-substitute solutions into ODEs to verify the solutions. Good for lots of other things too.:smile:
Some Mathematica functions are avilable online at

http://www.quickmath.com/

Click on equations and advanced equation plotting page

1. How do you calculate the volume using cylindrical shells with the equations y=x^2-3 and y=2x?

To calculate the volume using cylindrical shells, you must first set up the integral with the given equations. The integral will be ∫(2πxy)dx, where x ranges from the points of intersection of the two equations (in this case, x=1 and x=3). Substitute the equations into the integral and solve to find the volume.

2. What is the formula for finding the volume using cylindrical shells?

The formula for finding the volume using cylindrical shells is ∫(2πxy)dx, where x ranges from the points of intersection of the two equations and y is the difference between the two equations.

3. Can you use the cylindrical shell method to find the volume of any shape?

No, the cylindrical shell method can only be used to find the volume of shapes that can be revolved around a central axis, such as a cylinder or a cone.

4. How does the cylindrical shell method compare to other methods of finding volume, such as the disk or washer method?

The cylindrical shell method can be easier to use when the shape being revolved is more complex, as it only requires one integral instead of two. However, in some cases, the disk or washer method may be more efficient.

5. Are there any limitations when using the cylindrical shell method to find volume?

The cylindrical shell method can only be used to find the volume of shapes that can be revolved around a central axis. It also requires the use of calculus and may be more complex to use compared to other methods for certain shapes.