Is Calculus a Smooth Transition After Mastering Trig and Algebra 2?

• Thread starter Brady
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teaching
In summary: But what about (a+bi)? Well, the point (a+bi) is represented by the vector (a+bi, 0), which is perpendicular to the x-axis and has the coordinates (a,b+i). It's also worth noting that the magnitude of a+bi is the length of the vector from the origin to (a+bi). In summary, the Gaussian coordinate plane is used to represent complex numbers in a way that makes it easier to work with. The complex number (a+bi) is represented by the vector (a+bi, 0), which is perpendicular to the x-axis and has the coordinates (a,b+i). The magnitude of (a+
Brady
Hi, I'm in the complex numbers section of a trig book, and I'm having trouble intuitively understanding how a number like 3+5i can become (3,5) on the Gaussian coordinate plane...the logic behind it doesn't jump out at me...

Any help?

And is calculus generally a smooth transition after mastering trig and algebra 2, or is it something totally different?

Thanks a lot,
Brady Yoon :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Brady said:
Hi, I'm in the complex numbers section of a trig book, and I'm having trouble intuitively understanding how a number like 3+5i can become (3,5) on the Gaussian coordinate plane...the logic behind it doesn't jump out at me...

ummm. The idea of the Gaussian plane is to represent complex numbers as vectors. We chose the x-axis to host the real part of the complex number and the y-axis to host the imaginary part. Thus a complex number a+bi has the vector representation (a,b) in the Gaussian plane.

though you might not completely understand this, I will add that [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex], as groups, are isomorphic to one another [according to the isomorphism that assigns to each complex number its corresponding vector in the Gaussian plane: f(a+bi) = (a,b)].
Maybe someone else can extrapolate on what intesresting things this implies; I'd be interested. Thx.

Last edited:
a smooth translation from trig is non existent. calculus is just a lot of algebra with a few more formulas thrown in. don't let it scare you though, it isn't as hard as you think

That's just a way of representing the complex numbers. Just as we can think of real numbers as numbers on a "number line", since every complex number, a+ bi, requires two real numbers, we need two number lines to represent complex number. It happens to be simplest to make those number lines perpendicular. The complex number a+bi is represented by the pair (a,b) in an obvious way and that corresponds to the point with coordinates (a, b).

What is trigonometry and why should I learn it?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between sides and angles of triangles. It is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. Learning trigonometry can help you understand and solve complex problems involving angles and triangles.

What are the basic concepts of trigonometry?

The basic concepts of trigonometry include angles, right triangles, and trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It also involves understanding the relationships between these concepts and how they can be used to solve problems.

How can I teach myself trigonometry?

To teach yourself trigonometry, you can start by familiarizing yourself with the basic concepts and formulas. You can then practice solving problems and work through examples to improve your understanding. There are also many online resources, books, and videos available to help you learn trigonometry.

What are some common challenges when teaching oneself trigonometry?

Some common challenges when teaching oneself trigonometry include understanding the concepts and applying them correctly, memorizing formulas, and practicing enough to build confidence and proficiency. It is important to be patient, persistent, and seek help when needed.

Can I use trigonometry in real life?

Yes, trigonometry is used in various real-life applications such as architecture, construction, navigation, astronomy, and engineering. It can also be useful in everyday situations such as measuring heights and distances, finding angles, and calculating trajectories.