Find Legendre Polynomials of Order 15+

In summary, the conversation is about finding a list of Legendre Polynomials of order 15 and above. The person suggests using recursion formulae or Mathematica to obtain them. They also mention using Google to find references and provide two examples. Another person brings up the Rodrigues' formula for obtaining coefficients of the terms and shares an example of a 14th order Legendre Polynomial.
thepaqster
Hey there, does anyone know where I could find a list of Legendre Polynomials? I need them of the order 15 and above, and I haven't been able to find them on the net.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you could use the recursion formulae. I haven't seen them listed too high anywhere.

You can get them out of Mathematica, or something like that. If you don't have access to it, tell me exactly what you want to know.

Does not the Rodrigues' formula eventually give you coefficients of the terms ?

Here's the 14th order:
[tex]-\left( \frac{429}{2048}
\right) +
\frac{45045\,x^2}{2048} -
\frac{765765\,x^4}{2048} +
\frac{4849845\,x^6}{2048} -
\frac{14549535\,x^8}
{2048} +
\frac{22309287\,x^{10}}
{2048} -
\frac{16900975\,x^{12}}
{2048} +
\frac{5014575\,x^{14}}{2048}[/tex]
Aren't I nice?

1. What are Legendre Polynomials?

Legendre Polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are commonly used in mathematics and physics. They are named after French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre and have various applications in fields such as numerical analysis, differential equations, and quantum mechanics.

2. What is the significance of the order of Legendre Polynomials?

The order of Legendre Polynomials determines the degree of the polynomial and represents the number of nodes or zeros the polynomial has. Higher order Legendre Polynomials have more complex shapes and are commonly used for approximating more complicated functions.

3. How are Legendre Polynomials calculated?

Legendre Polynomials can be calculated using the recursive formula or the Rodrigues' formula. The recursive formula involves a series of calculations based on the previous polynomials in the series, while the Rodrigues' formula uses derivatives and integration to generate the polynomials.

4. What is the importance of finding Legendre Polynomials of Order 15+?

Finding Legendre Polynomials of Order 15 and higher allows for more accurate approximations of complex functions. These higher-order polynomials have more nodes and can better fit the curve of a function, making them useful in areas such as signal processing and image reconstruction.

5. Are there any applications of Legendre Polynomials in real-world problems?

Yes, Legendre Polynomials have many practical applications. They are commonly used in solving boundary value problems in physics and engineering, such as heat transfer and fluid mechanics. They are also used in statistics for data analysis and in computer graphics for shape modeling and interpolation.