Critical Density and Vander Waal's Equation

In summary, in order to calculate the Vander Waals constants 'a' and 'b' for a substance with a critical density of 0.555 gm/cc and a critical pressure of 48 atm, the molecular weight of the substance is needed. Without it, the calculations cannot be completed accurately.
shaiqbashir
" Critical Density of a substance having molecular weight is 0.555 gm/cc and the critical pressure is 48 atm. Calculate the Vander Waals constants 'a' and 'b'. "

Ans: a= 5.645 atm lit^2/mol^2
b= 0.066 lit/mol

My dear friendS! it looks like to me that the data is incomplete here as there is not molecular mass or critical temperature given there. Can you help me in solving this prob. I shall be very thankful to you for this act of kindness.

Thanks and Good Bye

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Shaiq, the data is complete. There are two unknowns 'a', and 'b', and both the critical pressure and critical density depend only on these two constants (in fact, the critical density is related only to 'b').

Two equations (do you know them?), two unknowns.

how to use critical density there!

Hi Gokul!

Well! my dear friend! thanks a lot for your precious help. But here's a little problem which I am facing you see is this that how to use this critical density to calculate "b". Now i know two formulae here:

[tex]P_{c}=\frac{a}{27b^2}[/tex]

[tex]V_{c}=3b[/tex]

Now my dear friend! i know that density is mass/vol. Now can i write critical density as critical mass/critical volume. If supposing that this is the formula then don't you think that we should proceed in this way:

[tex]V_{c}=3b[/tex]
[tex]\frac{m_{c}}{V_{c}}=\frac{m_{c}}{3b}[/tex]
[tex]0.555gm/cc=\frac{0.555gm}{3b}[/tex]
[tex]b=\frac{0.555gm}{3\times0.555gm/cc}[/tex]

now this yield in a value of b=0.333 which is not correct as in the answers, the correct value of b is b=0.066 lit/mol

what should i do now?? please help me as soon as possible

I'm sorry, I didn't look at the units carefully before. I apologize.

shaiqbashir said:
" Critical Density of a substance having molecular weight <number missing here> is 0.555 gm/cc and the critical pressure is 48 atm. Calculate the Vander Waals constants 'a' and 'b'. "
You ARE correct. Actually, I think you may have copied the question down incompletely. It promises a molecular weight but does not give you the number. Yes, you need the MW.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of critical density?

Critical density is the density at which a substance exists in both the liquid and gas phases at the same time, also known as the critical point. At this point, the substance has the highest possible boiling point and lowest possible melting point, causing it to exhibit unique properties.

2. How is critical density related to Vander Waal's equation?

Vander Waal's equation takes into account the intermolecular forces between particles, which become significant at high pressures and low temperatures. At the critical point, these forces are at their maximum and play a crucial role in determining the behavior of the substance. Therefore, critical density is a key component of Vander Waal's equation.

3. What is the significance of critical density in phase transitions?

At critical density, a substance undergoes a phase transition from a liquid to a gas or vice versa. This transition is accompanied by unique properties, such as the vanishing surface tension and the disappearance of the distinction between the liquid and gas phases. Understanding critical density is essential in predicting and studying phase transitions.

4. How does critical density affect the behavior of a substance?

The behavior of a substance near critical density is highly dependent on its intermolecular forces and temperature. At critical density, substances can exhibit non-ideal behavior, such as deviating from the ideal gas law and displaying compressibility effects. This can also lead to the formation of other phases, such as supercritical fluids.

5. How is critical density experimentally determined?

Critical density can be experimentally determined by measuring the density of a substance at various pressures and temperatures and plotting them on a phase diagram. The point at which the liquid and gas phases intersect is the critical point, and the corresponding density at this point is the critical density.