MCNP Depletion Code -- Help please

In summary, the graduate student is having issues with the syntax/code for MCNP and was wondering if one could assist. The student has attached an input file and is requesting that the burnup function be changed to match the card in the MCNPX manual. The graduate student also requests that the concentrations for material 4 (ZrO2 Film) be changed to match the card in the MCNPX manual.
shakystew
Hello,

I am a graduate student attempting to run evaluate the depletion of a ceramic film attached to the moderator-side of the fuel clad. I am having some issues with my MCNP syntax/code and I was wondering if one could assist.

My input file is attached. I am not looking for someone to fully analyze the issue, just wanted to see if anyone notices anything wrong. I am getting a burnup of 0.000E+00 for the first step, then N/A for the remaining.

Attachments

• ZrO2Depletion.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 687
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with MCNP's burnup function, what are the units for the burn time and power parameters?

The burn time are in days and the power parameters represent the total recoverable fission system power (MW). (DEFAULT:POWER=1.0). I was forced to OMIT those isotopes in the respective material regions in order to not run into library issues.

I'm just throwing out ideas here, but does MCNP let you deplete non-fuel materials (mat 4) like that? How it is defining the power of the cladding?

You have three burnup steeps 0 50 100 days. I know that also must be present PFRAC card ( PFRAC=1 1 1 ) in BURNUP
burnup=0 day*1MW/mass of heavy fuel = 0.0 MWD/MTU
your first time step is problem (must be different from 0)

Last edited:
Stephan_doc said:
You have three burnup steeps 0 50 100 days. I know that also must be present PFRAC card ( PFRAC=1 1 1 ) in BURNUP
burnup=0 day*1MW/mass of heavy fuel = 0.0 MWD/MTU
your first time step is problem (must be different from 0)

I think PFRAC defaults to 1 for every step if you don't enter it at all. The N/A error leads me to believe it is having a problem with the depletion section somehow though.

QuantumPion said:
I think PFRAC defaults to 1 for every step if you don't enter it at all.
Yes, you are right
Run my attached input
MCNPX will give materials concentrations for fresh fuel. (no burnup, 0 MWD/MTU)
Please read burn scheme from MCNCPX manual for a better understand

Attachments

• ZrO2Depletion1.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 713
It ran without errors, but I would like to see the isotropic depletion within each region (especially the film, to verify it will last an entire fuel cycle). The 'print table 210' only shows the library burnup.

Also change card MATVOL=11.02876358 192.687656 with MATVOL= 192.687656 11.02876358 for MAT=1 4. See concentrations for material 4 (ZrO2 Film) after burn steps requested.

1. What is MCNP Depletion Code?

MCNP Depletion Code is a computer program used for modeling and analyzing the depletion of nuclear materials over time. It is widely used in the field of nuclear engineering and physics for simulating the behavior of nuclear systems.

2. How does MCNP Depletion Code work?

MCNP Depletion Code uses a Monte Carlo method to simulate the interactions of particles with matter. It calculates the depletion of nuclear materials by tracking the movement and energy of particles through a system and taking into account the nuclear reactions and transformations that occur.

3. What can MCNP Depletion Code be used for?

MCNP Depletion Code can be used for a variety of applications, including predicting the behavior of nuclear reactors, analyzing spent fuel and radioactive waste, and designing new nuclear systems. It can also be used for research purposes to study the effects of different parameters on nuclear materials.

4. Do I need specialized knowledge to use MCNP Depletion Code?

Yes, MCNP Depletion Code is a complex program that requires a strong background in nuclear engineering and physics. It is typically used by trained professionals in the field, and it is recommended to have experience with other simulation and modeling software before attempting to use MCNP Depletion Code.

5. Where can I get help with using MCNP Depletion Code?

There are a variety of resources available for help with MCNP Depletion Code, including user manuals, online tutorials, and forums where users can ask questions and receive assistance. Additionally, many universities and research institutions have experts who can provide guidance and support with using the program.