How do I multiply 3 three digit numbers simultaneously?

• Thread starter jnbp13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of multiplying three 1-digit numbers at the same time and whether it is possible or not. The participants also touch on the crosswise method for multiplication and the need for a well-defined algorithm. They also mention the importance of associative property and using memorized multiplication tables.
jnbp13
Without any rough work

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Forget 3-digit numbers. How would you multiply three 1-digit numbers "simultaneously"?

Is there any method like crosswise method of multiplication of two numbers

Three digits at time! In looking at an algorithm, which can be used in order to evaluate

So you are asking for a general algorithm that essentially allows one to compute the product of three numbers in one's head, correct?

Do you understand the crosswise method? I mean understand why it works, not just how to execute the algorithm. Why does the crosswise method for computing the product of two numbers give the correct answer? If you think about that question, it might give you some insight for creating your own method for computing "bigger" products.

I don't think it's possible to multiply three numbers at the same time. The best you can do is to multiply two of them to get an intermediate product, and then multiply that one times the remaining number.

Okay then!

@gopher

I've made an algorithm myself to overcome this task

But the thing is that it's too complex

What does "too complex" mean?
- Do you mean it's not clear how one is supposed to proceed? If so, you don't have a well-defined algorithm.
- Do you mean it requires too much working memory to use in practice? If so, change your algorithm to involve writing more things down, so you have less reliance on working memory.
- Do you mean it takes too long? If so, you may just be SOL. If I had to multiply three three-digit numbers without a calculator, it would take me quite a while. Maybe there's a more efficient (i.e. fewer steps, or easier steps) algorithm you can find, maybe not.

Mark44 said:
I don't think it's possible to multiply three numbers at the same time. The best you can do is to multiply two of them to get an intermediate product, and then multiply that one times the remaining number.

why not?

(100*a+10*b+c)(100*d+10*e+f)(100*g+10*h+i) = 1000000 a d g+100000 a d h+10000 a d i+100000 a e g+10000 a e h+1000 a e i+10000 a f g+1000 a f h+100 a f i+100000 b d g+10000 b d h+1000 b d i+10000 b e g+1000 b e h+100 b e i+1000 b f g+100 b f h+10 b f i+10000 c d g+1000 c d h+100 c d i+1000 c e g+100 c e h+10 c e i+100 c f g+10 c f h+c f i

you can look up the one digit multiplications in a table.

Put the calculator in your head.
That's how you do it.

willem2 said:
1000000 a d g

That's the first multiplication.

100000 a d h

That's the second multiplication.

10000 a d i

That's third, and so on.

Three consecutive multiplications already, and we are still far from the final result.

Basically it depends on how you define "at the same time".

To add to what Borek said, to do the first multiplication (1000000 a d g) you would probably multiply a and d together, and then multiply that by g, and finally multiply that by 1000000. Multiplication is a binary operation, meaning that it operates on two numbers. That's what I was talking about in post #6.

To multiply three numbers, you can use the fact that multiplication is associative (i.e., (ab)c = a(bc)) to multiply a pair of the numbers and then multiply that product by the third.

Mark44 said:
To add to what Borek said, to do the first multiplication (1000000 a d g) you would probably multiply a and d together, and then multiply that by g, and finally multiply that by 1000000. Multiplication is a binary operation, meaning that it operates on two numbers. That's what I was talking about in post #6.

To multiply three numbers, you can use the fact that multiplication is associative (i.e., (ab)c = a(bc)) to multiply a pair of the numbers and then multiply that product by the third.

If I multiply two 1 digit numbers, I just use memorized multiplication tables. You could do that with multiplying 3 1 digit numbers also. Mulitiplying with at million is just a left shift.

1. How do I multiply three three-digit numbers simultaneously?

Multiplying three three-digit numbers simultaneously involves a method known as the "Russian Peasant Method." This method involves breaking down each number into its prime factors and then using a grid to multiply them together. A quick internet search can provide step-by-step instructions on how to use this method.

2. Can I use a calculator to multiply three three-digit numbers simultaneously?

Yes, you can use a calculator to multiply three three-digit numbers simultaneously. However, using a calculator may not be as efficient as using the "Russian Peasant Method" mentioned above. Additionally, it is always helpful to be able to perform calculations without relying on a calculator.

3. Is there a specific order in which I should multiply the three three-digit numbers?

No, there is no specific order in which you should multiply the three three-digit numbers. As long as you are using the correct method, the order in which you multiply the numbers should not affect the final result.

4. How can I check if my answer is correct when multiplying three three-digit numbers simultaneously?

One way to check if your answer is correct is to use a calculator to perform the multiplication in the traditional way. You can also use the "Russian Peasant Method" again to see if you arrive at the same answer. Additionally, you can ask a friend or teacher to check your work.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for multiplying three three-digit numbers simultaneously?

Aside from using the "Russian Peasant Method," there are a few other tricks you can use to make multiplying three three-digit numbers simultaneously easier. These include breaking down the numbers into smaller factors, using estimation techniques, and practicing mental math strategies. However, it is important to remember that practice and understanding of the concept are key to efficiently multiplying three three-digit numbers simultaneously.