Isolating C from "L=2C+∏ (D+d)/2 + (D-d)^2/4C" - Help Needed!

• Thread starter wallybanger
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for calculating belt length based on pulley sizes and distance between centers. The focus is on isolating the distance between centers (C) in the formula. The expert advises multiplying both sides by C to get a quadratic equation, which can be solved using the quadratic formula. The conversation also touches on using the correct notation for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, and the importance of checking the solution before using it in a CAD program.
wallybanger
Hi, I'm not the best with algebra and I've been wrestling with a formula this afternoon. It is a formula to calculate a belt length based on 2 pulley sizes and the distance between the centres. I would like to be able to calculate the distance between the centres based on the pulley sizes and the belt length so instead of solving for L I need to solve for C. I would love to know what I'm doing wrong in isolating C. Anyway, here is the eqn.

L=2C+∏ (D+d)/2 + (D-d)^2/4C

L= Belt length
C= Distance between pulley centres
D= Big pulley Dia
d= Small pulley Dia

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Multiply through by C. You then have a quadratic in C, which is readily solvable.

mathman said:
Multiply through by C. You then have a quadratic in C, which is readily solvable.
I kinda know what you mean but I'm not really sure how to do that. As in multiply every element by c? Top and bottom of the fractions?

Multiplying both sides of
[tex]L=2C+∏ (D+d)/2 + (D-d)^2/4C[/tex]
by C will give
[tex]LC= 2C^2+ ∏ C(D+ d)/2+ (D- d)^2/4[/tex]

For anybody still hung up on this, the next step is to reformulate the equation using the quadratic equation.

Ok, looking good so far, but how come the second part (D-d)^2/4 isn't also multiplied by C and why are the denominators not multiplied by C?

Ugh, I also suck at factoring. I need to go through my algebra textbook again and teach myself all this stuff from scratch.

wallybanger said:
Hi, I'm not the best with algebra and I've been wrestling with a formula this afternoon. It is a formula to calculate a belt length based on 2 pulley sizes and the distance between the centres. I would like to be able to calculate the distance between the centres based on the pulley sizes and the belt length so instead of solving for L I need to solve for C. I would love to know what I'm doing wrong in isolating C. Anyway, here is the eqn.

L=2C+∏ (D+d)/2 + (D-d)^2/4C

L= Belt length
C= Distance between pulley centres
D= Big pulley Dia
d= Small pulley Dia

Here's a tip:

[itex]L = 2C+\pi\frac{(D+d)}{2}+\frac{(D-d)^{2}}{4C}[/itex]

use a lower case [itex]\pi[/itex] to indicate the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. The upper case [itex]\Pi[/itex] is generally used in mathematics to indicate the product of several different terms.

Ok, So I'm guessing
[itex]L = 2C+\frac{\pi(D+d)}{2}+\frac{(D-d)^{2}}{4C}[/itex]
Should become
[itex]LC = 2C^2+\frac{\pi C(D+d)}{2}+\frac{C(D-d)^{2}}{4C}[/itex]

Is that correct?

It still has me wondering why the C doesn't effect the denominator.

Last edited:
It does! That was the whole point of multiplying by it. The C in the denominator cancels the C in the numerator leaving
[tex]LC= 2C^2+ \frac{\pi C(D+ d)}{2}+ \frac{(D-d)^2}{4}[/tex]
That is the same as
[tex]2C^2+ \left(\frac{\pi(D+ d)}{2}-L\right)C+ \left[\frac{(D- d)^2}{4}\right]= 0[/tex]

That is a quadratic equation. I wouldn't worry about "factoring"- use the quadratic formula.

HallsofIvy said:
It does! That was the whole point of multiplying by it. The C in the denominator cancels the C in the numerator leaving
[tex]LC= 2C^2+ \frac{\pi C(D+ d)}{2}+ \frac{(D-d)^2}{4}[/tex]
That is the same as
[tex]2C^2+ \left(\frac{\pi(D+ d)}{2}-L\right)C+ \left[\frac{(D- d)^2}{4}\right]= 0[/tex]

That is a quadratic equation. I wouldn't worry about "factoring"- use the quadratic formula.
:P Right. I missed that you had canceled the C in the denominator.

Ahhhh! The quadratic Eq'n! Forgot about that old chestnut. Alright, let's give this a try.

[itex]C=\frac{-\left(\frac{\pi(D+d)}{2}-L\right)\pm \sqrt{\left(\frac{\pi(D+d)}{2}\right)^2-4(2)\left(\frac{(D-d)^2}{4}\right)}}{2(2)}[/itex]

That's very interesting... I need to try to jam all that into a CAD program now. I should probably attempt to check it first too...

Last edited:

What is the equation for isolating C from "L=2C+∏ (D+d)/2 + (D-d)^2/4C"?

The equation for isolating C from "L=2C+∏ (D+d)/2 + (D-d)^2/4C" is C = (L - ∏ (D+d)/2 - (D-d)^2/4)/2.

How do you solve for C in the equation "L=2C+∏ (D+d)/2 + (D-d)^2/4C"?

To solve for C, you must first isolate it on one side of the equation by subtracting all other terms from both sides. Then, simplify the equation by distributing and combining like terms. Finally, divide both sides by the coefficient of C to get the final answer.

Why is it important to isolate C in the equation "L=2C+∏ (D+d)/2 + (D-d)^2/4C"?

Isolating C allows us to solve for its specific value without any other variables or constants affecting the answer. This is important in understanding the relationship between the different components of the equation and how they contribute to the overall value of C.

What is the purpose of using parentheses in the equation "L=2C+∏ (D+d)/2 + (D-d)^2/4C"?

The parentheses in this equation indicate the order of operations, meaning that the values within the parentheses should be solved first before any other operations are performed. This ensures that the equation is solved correctly and accurately.

Can the equation "L=2C+∏ (D+d)/2 + (D-d)^2/4C" be rearranged to solve for a different variable?

Yes, the equation can be rearranged to solve for a different variable by following the same steps of isolating the desired variable on one side of the equation and simplifying. However, the final answer will be different from solving for C.