Very simple log problem - I'm missing something.

• Thread starter Zaent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve for A in the equation A=12^(1/5) using logarithms. The correct solution is A=1.644, not 1.24 as originally thought. The mistake was using the natural logarithm (ln) instead of the base 10 logarithm (log). It is also mentioned that the old method of using log tables or a decitrig sliderule can be used to solve such problems.
Zaent
A=12^(1/5)
Log(A)=(1/5)Log(12)

The next part in the book says:

Log(A)=0.2158
A=1.644

I don't know how to do this without a calculator, and with a calculator I'm getting 1.24.

I'm doing e^0.2158

Can anyone please tell me where I'm going wrong here?Note: this isn't homework, just something I've come across

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
How old is the book? If old (pre 1980) then the expectation is that you have and use a set of log tables.

Also log(A) implies log to base 10 i.e. 10.1258.
The standard notation for logs to base e is Ln(A).

Your mistake is using e and not 10. Base e is used when doing stuff with natural logs ie ln() and 10 is used when doing base 10 logs.

Google can supplement a calculator if one isn't readily available.

The old fashioned way of solving log problems was to use precomputed log tables. Alternatively you could use the ll scales of a decitrig sliderule.

Thank you both! I figured the book was old because it was asking me to do this, but I still knew my log knowledge was off somewhere. I'll remember the base 10 thing in future. Thanks again!

It seems like you are trying to solve for the value of A in the equation A=12^(1/5). To do this, you can use the property of logarithms which states that Log(a^b)=bLog(a). In this case, a=12 and b=1/5, so Log(A)=(1/5)Log(12).

Next, you can use a calculator to find the value of Log(12), which is approximately 1.0792. Then, you can plug this value into the equation Log(A)=(1/5)Log(12) and solve for Log(A).

Once you have the value of Log(A), you can use the inverse property of logarithms to find the value of A. In this case, you would take the antilog (or raise both sides to the power of 10) to get A=10^(Log(A)). Using a calculator, you should get A=1.644 as the final answer.

It seems like you may have made a mistake when using your calculator to find A. Make sure you enter the equation correctly and use the correct order of operations. It is also possible that the book made a mistake in their calculation of A=1.644. Double checking your work or using a different calculator may help you find the correct answer.

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation. It represents the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given value.

2. How do I solve a simple log problem?

To solve a simple log problem, you need to use the basic logarithm formula: logb(x) = y, where b is the base, x is the argument, and y is the solution. You can then manipulate the formula to isolate the variable you are solving for.

3. Why am I getting a negative answer when solving a log problem?

If you are getting a negative answer when solving a log problem, it may be because you are taking the logarithm of a negative number. Remember, the argument of a logarithm must be a positive number.

4. What if I don't know the base of the logarithm?

If you don't know the base of the logarithm, you can use the change of base formula: logb(x) = loga(x) / loga(b), where a is any positive number. This allows you to change the base to a known value and solve the problem.

5. Can a logarithm have a fractional or negative value?

Yes, a logarithm can have a fractional or negative value. This can occur when the argument is a fraction or a negative number. In these cases, the logarithm represents the power to which the base must be raised to equal the argument.