Comprehensive List of Arithmetic Topics for Math Students: Resources and Books

• Thread starter starrynight108
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a comprehensive list of topics from arithmetic to pre-calculus and the difficulty of finding one resource that covers both execution and logical understanding. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the "why" in math concepts and suggests using less advanced material to supplement learning. The conversation concludes with a recommendation to look for used books from certain authors.
starrynight108
Does anyone know where I can get a complete list (that is preferably well organized) of topics from arithmetic - pre-calculus?

I've had difficulty finding one resource that is comprehensive for arithmetic. Maybe I am being too picky... I have about 9 full pages of topics for arithmetic so far that have been put together piecemeal, but it would be awesome to find one comprehensive book/online resource.

It's clear that textbooks are a good starting point, but to understand the logic and how to derive formulas/concepts there needs to be additional resources.

A little rant: If I could put mathematical learning into two categories - execution and logical understanding. Someone can be great at learning how to execute formulas, but not see how things connect (maybe this is a no-brainer!). Understanding the logic isn't explicitly taught (at least in my experiences). This is clear from our tutoring center. The majority of the tutors can tell how how to find the answer, aka use this formula, but can't explain the why. There's a fellow with a B.S. in math and of course he can explain everything backwards and forwards.

Am I trying to learn above my level? I am taking calc 1 in December. Being a physics major I really enjoy going to the core of understanding the 'why' in concepts, but it takes up so much time and it's tough with full-time work and school.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just noticed the math resources at the top of this page! Any feedback to the last item would be appreciated though.

You cannot get a list of all possible resources. At least you suggested what level you are. I would seriously use less advanced material starting at Pre-Algebra, if you want extensive help in understanding Arithmetic and basic common Geometry.

You should find USED BOOKS, hard-bound for courses intended for Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus, or College Algebra. You STILL might need more than any single book. Look for authors like:
Aufmann & Barker;
Aufmann, Barker, & Nation;
Wright & New;
Lial;
Lial & Miller;
Larson & Hostetler.

1. What is a comprehensive list of arithmetic topics for math students?

A comprehensive list of arithmetic topics for math students includes all the fundamental concepts and skills related to basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It also covers topics like fractions, decimals, percentages, and basic algebraic equations.

2. Why is it important for math students to have a comprehensive understanding of arithmetic topics?

Understanding arithmetic topics is crucial for math students because it forms the foundation for more advanced math concepts. It helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in higher-level math courses and real-life situations.

3. What are some resources that can help students learn and practice arithmetic topics?

There are various resources available to help students learn and practice arithmetic topics, such as textbooks, workbooks, online tutorials, educational videos, and practice worksheets. Math games and apps can also be useful for making learning more interactive and engaging.

4. Are there any recommended books for students to study arithmetic topics?

Yes, there are several recommended books for students to study arithmetic topics, including "Basic Arithmetic for College Students" by Alan S. Tussy and R. David Gustafson, "Arithmetic for the Practical Man" by Robert G. Brown, and "The Art of Problem Solving: Introduction to Arithmetic" by Richard Rusczyk.

5. How can teachers use a comprehensive list of arithmetic topics to enhance their teaching?

Teachers can use a comprehensive list of arithmetic topics as a guide to ensure that they cover all the essential concepts while teaching. They can also use it to create lesson plans and activities that cater to the diverse learning needs of their students. Additionally, teachers can use the list to assess students' understanding and identify areas that require further reinforcement.