Help needed with Gauss's Law and Net Flux

In summary, the problem involves a cube placed in a uniform electric field with edges parallel to the field lines. The net flux through the cube can be calculated by using the equation EAcos\Theta, where E is the electric field strength and A is the area of the surface. The flux through each of the six faces is calculated by considering the angle between the field vector and the normal to the surface. The convention is to take outward flux as positive and inward flux as negative. In this problem, only faces 1 and 2 (perpendicular to the field) have a non-zero flux, while faces 3-6 (parallel to the field) have a flux of zero. The net flux is therefore zero.
marissag
[SOLVED] Help needed with Gauss's Law and Net Flux

A cube of side l-55cm is placed in a uniform field E= 7.30 X10^3 N/C with edges parallel to the field lines.

a. what is the net flux through the cube?
b. what is the flux through each of its six faces?
Face 1 perpendicular to E (field lines enter the cube)
Face 2 perpendicular to E (field lines exit the cube)
Face 3 parallel to E
Face 4 parallel to E
Face 5 parallel to E
Face 6 parallel to E

Now...it might just be throwing me off...but I THOUGHT (which i could totally be wrong) that the parallel sides will have a flux value of zero because E is not entering or exiting those areas.

However..I could be completely wrong because it seems I am teaching this problem to myself at the moment...but I am still lost on how to find the net flux and when it enters and exits...

OH...I have an equation that the electric flux = EA cos (theta) I substituted the values in...figuring area as 3025 cm^2 and then converting to m^2 and subbing everything in the equation but I am doing something completely wrong...

HELP Please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in thinking faces parallel to the field will have zero flux. Remember that these things are vectors as well. The convention is to take outward flux as positive and inward flux as negative.

Kurdt said:
You are correct in thinking faces parallel to the field will have zero flux. Remember that these things are vectors as well. The convention is to take outward flux as positive and inward flux as negative.

Is the equation EAcos[tex]\Theta[/tex][ the correct equation to use? I am so completely lost with this one...

I took the part of the question "with edges parallel to the field lines" to mean that the angle theta would be 0 degrees...

I took the 55cm and figured the area to be 3025 cm^2 and then converted to .3025 m^2 and E is given.

EAcos[tex]\Theta[/tex] = (7.30 x 10^3 N/C)(.3025m^2)(cos 0) = 2208.5 which would enter the cube so it would be positive...

yes?

Yes that is the formula one would use. More generally it is:

[tex]\oint_{S} \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{S}[/tex]

If you read what I said before if the answer is positive then the flux is leaving the cube. There was a reason why I said you must consider this vectorially.

Kurdt said:
Yes that is the formula one would use. More generally it is:

[tex]\oint_{S} \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{S}[/tex]

If you read what I said before if the answer is positive then the flux is leaving the cube. There was a reason why I said you must consider this vectorially.

I honestly don't understand...I am really lost on this one. If for some reason I am not doing this correctly or I am forgetting a step I have no idea what it is...

I have read and read and I can't seem to figure out anymore than I have...

You have one side where the field lines exit the cube now what about the side where they enter?

It seems to me you're making this more difficult than it is - you've already said everything you need to get the answer.

Can you tell us exactly how you're seeing the angle theta, first for face 1, then for face 2, then for faces 3 - 6? I suspect you're off by 90 degrees.

belliott4488 said:
It seems to me you're making this more difficult than it is - you've already said everything you need to get the answer.

Can you tell us exactly how you're seeing the angle theta, first for face 1, then for face 2, then for faces 3 - 6? I suspect you're off by 90 degrees.

Oh I don't doubt that I am making it harder than it is at all...trust me, not frustrated with you guys just frustrated with myself. Gauss's Law is really not clicking for me for some reason.

for face 3 through 6 i didnt use any angle because the electric flux entered through one side and exited through another so only face 1 and face 2 (both perpendiculer to E) would have a value...

so for the angle for face 1 would be 180 and for face 2 would be zero...

so flux through face 1 would be (7.2 x 10^3)(.3025m^2)(cos180) = -2208.25 N m^2/C
and then flux through face 2 would be (7.2 x 10^3)(.3025m^2)(cos0) = 2208.25 N m^2/C

marissag said:
so for the angle for face 1 would be 180 and for face 2 would be zero...

so flux through face 1 would be (7.2 x 10^3)(.3025m^2)(cos180) = -2208.25 N m^2/C
and then flux through face 2 would be (7.2 x 10^3)(.3025m^2)(cos0) = 2208.25 N m^2/C

And thus net flux is?

Kurdt said:
And thus net flux is?

zero

Bingo!

And by the way - you're right that you can neglect any contribution from sides 3 - 6, but even if you didn't, the math still works. In those cases, the angle is 90 deg (remember, it's the angle between the field vector and the normal to the surface), so the cos gives you zero, as you'd expect.

belliott4488 said:
Bingo!

And by the way - you're right that you can neglect any contribution from sides 3 - 6, but even if you didn't, the math still works. In those cases, the angle is 90 deg (remember, it's the angle between the field vector and the normal to the surface), so the cos gives you zero, as you'd expect.

Thank you so much for all of your help...both of you!

1. What is Gauss's Law and how does it relate to net flux?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the net electric charge enclosed by that surface. It states that the net electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed electric charge divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How do you calculate the net electric flux through a closed surface using Gauss's Law?

To calculate the net electric flux through a closed surface, you first need to determine the enclosed electric charge. This can be done by finding the sum of all the charges enclosed by the surface. Then, you can use the formula: net flux = (enclosed charge) / (permittivity of free space).

3. What is the significance of Gauss's Law in electromagnetism?

Gauss's Law is significant because it is a fundamental principle that helps us understand the behavior of electric fields in various situations. It allows us to calculate the electric flux through a closed surface, which is important in many practical applications such as designing electrical circuits and understanding the behavior of charged particles.

4. Can Gauss's Law be applied to all types of surfaces?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to any closed surface, regardless of its shape or orientation. This is because the law is based on the concept of electric flux, which is a property that exists for all types of surfaces.

5. How does Gauss's Law relate to other laws and principles in electromagnetism?

Gauss's Law is closely related to other laws and principles in electromagnetism, such as Coulomb's Law and the principle of superposition. It also forms the basis for other important concepts, such as electric potential and capacitance. Understanding Gauss's Law is crucial for building a strong foundation in electromagnetism.