Show equation has Exactly one real root

• Thread starter jkeatin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the equation 1 + 2x + x^3 + 4x^5 = 0 has exactly one real root. The use of the intermediate value theorem and Rolle's theorem is suggested, and it is explained that the derivative of the function is always positive, indicating that the function is always increasing. This means that it can only intersect the x-axis once, thus proving that there is exactly one real root for the equation. The relationship between the derivative being positive and having only one root is also discussed, with the logic being that a function that is always increasing can only intersect the x-axis once.
jkeatin

Homework Statement

show that the equation 1 + 2x + x^3 + 4x^5 = 0 has exactly one real root

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know what to use to find out that it has exactly one real root. i know you use the intermediate value theorem for roots but what do you do to show it has exactly one?

Physics news on Phys.org
First show that it has at least one real root (you can use the intermediate value theorem, as you noted). Then consider its derivative. What does it tell you about this function?

i used f(1) and f(-1) to prove the intermediate value theorem. the derivative of the function is 2+3x^2+20x^4 which i guess shows that the function is always positive?

jkeatin said:
i used f(1) and f(-1) to prove the intermediate value theorem. the derivative of the function is 2+3x^2+20x^4 which i guess shows that the function is always positive?

It doesn't show the function is always positive. It shows that its always increasing. If it has a root, what does this tell you about the number of roots?

Take two numbers, say -1 and 0. Then f(-1) = -6 < 0 and f(0) = 1 > 0 (Letting f(x) = 1 + 2x + x^3 + 4x^5.)

By the Intermediate Value Theorem there exists a number "c" between -1 and 0 such that f(c) = 0. So the equation has a real root. Then suppose there are two roots a and b.

Then f(a) = f(b) = 0 and by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolle%27s_theorem" f'(r) = 0 for some r in the set of numbers (a,b). But f'(x) = 2 + 3x^2 + 20x^4 > 0 for all x, so it is impossible to have f'(r) = 0 for some c.

So there is exactly one root.

Last edited by a moderator:
re182 said:
Take two numbers, say -1 and 0. Then f(-1) = -6 < 0 and f(0) = 1 > 0 (Letting f(x) = 1 + 2x + x^3 + 4x^5.)

By the Intermediate Value Theorem there exists a number "c" between -1 and 0 such that f(c) = 0. So the equation has a real root. Then suppose there are two roots a and b.

Then f(a) = f(b) = 0 and by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolle%27s_theorem" f'(r) = 0 for some r in the set of numbers (a,b). But f'(x) = 2 + 3x^2 + 20x^4 > 0 for all x, so it is impossible to have f'(r) = 0 for some c.

So there is exactly one root.

Can anyone explain this is simpler terms. I grasp it for the most part but I don't see the relationship between the derivative being positive (Increasing) and having only one root on that interval.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dick said:
It doesn't show the function is always positive. It shows that its always increasing. If it has a root, what does this tell you about the number of roots?

Perfect. Forget everything. Just look int tothe logic. Always increasing. Hence it either intersects the x-axis once or not at all. But it is evident that the function exists in negative y and we can alos see that it exists in +ve y alos. So it intersects the x-axis once. Cause to intersect the x-axis more than once the function has to decrease. Bur we know that that doesnot happen

1. What does it mean for an equation to have exactly one real root?

Having exactly one real root means that when the equation is graphed on a coordinate plane, it will intersect the x-axis at one point. This also means that there is only one value of x that will satisfy the equation.

2. How can you determine if an equation has exactly one real root?

An equation will have exactly one real root if its discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is equal to 0. This can be calculated using the quadratic formula or by factoring the equation.

3. Are there any other conditions for an equation to have exactly one real root?

No, the value of the discriminant is the only condition for an equation to have exactly one real root. If the discriminant is not equal to 0, then the equation will have either two real roots or no real roots.

4. What does it mean if an equation has exactly one real root but also has complex roots?

If an equation has exactly one real root but also has complex roots, it means that the equation can be factored into the form (x - a)(x - bi)(x + bi), where a is the real root and bi is the complex root. This is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra.

5. Can an equation have more than one real root?

Yes, an equation can have more than one real root. If the discriminant is greater than 0, the equation will have two distinct real roots. If the discriminant is less than 0, the equation will have two complex roots. Only when the discriminant is equal to 0 will the equation have exactly one real root.