Why do comets tails come out of the front and curve around to the back?

In summary, comet tails are formed by the heating and radiation pressure from the sun, causing volatiles on the comet's surface to evaporate and be pushed away from the sun. The tail is generally a thin, spherical pseudo-atmosphere with a trailing tail pointing away from the sun. Some comet structures and compositions may result in a more collimated outflow with a delay in redirection due to heavier dust particles.
Cbray
I've been researching this for a while now, and none of the theory's can predict it.
I've studied comets for a while now, and the tails come out of the front and then has a weird curve which goes to the back.
If you guys have any random ideas or thoughts of why this is happening, that would be awesome.

It's been stuck in my head for a while now,
thanks,
Charles.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Cbray said:
I've been researching this for a while now, and none of the theory's can predict it.

Baloney. Sorry, but that's the only sensible word for claiming that just because you don't understand something that therefore nobody understands it.

Comet tails do not come "out the front". A comet has a coma, which would be spherical, caused by the heating of the comet as its orbit nears the sun. This coma is distorted by the bow shock as the comet passes through the solar wind. On the trailing edge, a comet has two tails: one made of gas and ions and the other of dust. These point in different directions - the dust remains in the orbit ellipse and the gas and ions are pushed away from the sun.

Cbray said:
I've studied comets for a while now, and the tails come out of the front and then has a weird curve which goes to the back.
What you're describing isn't the paradigmatic 'comet' that most people imagine... do you have a particular image you're thinking about?

Comet tails are caused by a few effects, the dominant one is simply heating and radiation pressure from the sun. The heat from sunlight evaporates (and ionizes) volatiles on the surface of the comet facing predominantly toward the sun, and then radiation pressure pushes the material away from the sun (regardless of the comet's trajectory---for the most part).

Generally this looks like a thin pseudo-atmosphere, roughly spherical around the comet, followed by a tail pointing away from the sun. I suppose (conjecturally), that particular comet structures (e.g. anisotropic distribution of ices on the surface, and particular volatile compositions) could lead to a more collimated outflow in a particular direction which takes some time for radiation pressure to redirect. This might be more likely if a large amount of the ejected material is heavier dusts (instead of just gas).

1. What causes a comet's tail to form?

A comet's tail is formed when it approaches the Sun and starts to heat up. This causes the ice and dust particles on the surface to vaporize, creating a trail of gas and dust that is pushed away from the comet by the solar wind.

2. Why does the comet's tail curve around to the back?

The curved shape of a comet's tail is due to the interaction between the solar wind and the comet's magnetic field. As the solar wind pushes the ionized particles in the tail, the magnetic field of the comet deflects them, causing the tail to curve.

3. Can the direction of a comet's tail change?

Yes, the direction of a comet's tail can change due to changes in the strength and direction of the solar wind. This can cause the tail to appear to point in different directions as the comet orbits the Sun.

4. How long can a comet's tail be?

The length of a comet's tail can vary greatly, but it can reach lengths of millions of miles. The tail can also change in length as the comet moves closer or further away from the Sun and experiences different levels of heating and solar wind intensity.

5. Why do some comets have multiple tails?

Some comets have multiple tails due to the composition and structure of the comet's nucleus. If the nucleus has multiple layers of different types of ice and dust, they can form separate tails as they vaporize at different rates. Additionally, the interaction of the comet's magnetic field with the solar wind can also create multiple tails.