Solving Force Combinations: 6N + 8N = 14N, 2N, 10N

• Thread starter Crusaderking1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, you can add vectors by resolving them into components, or using the "parallelogram rule" for vector sums.
Crusaderking1

Homework Statement

3. Draw figures showing how you would combine a 6 N force and an 8 N force to obtain a resultant force with magnitude (a) 14 N; (b) 2 N; (c) 10 N.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know where to start or what equation to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand how to calculate a vector sum graphically? That's all this question is really about...

cepheid said:
Do you understand how to calculate a vector sum graphically? That's all this question is really about...

In our lab we graphed forces, but they had an angle as well.

Oh wait, like draw a straight line with 8 and 6 for 14, while drawing lines with arrows towards each other for 2?

-------------->------------------------->2
--------------><-------------------------

Crusaderking1 said:
Oh wait, like draw a straight line with 8 and 6 for 14, while drawing lines with arrows towards each other for 2?

Well, you've found two combinations that work. If the forces are in the same direction, the magnitude of the resultant is just the sum of the magnitudes of the two vectors. Likewise if they're in the exact opposite direction, the magnitude of the resultant is just the difference of their magnitudes. But the more general case is when they are not co-linear, meaning along the same line. I.e. the angle between them is something other than 0 or 180 degrees. How do you find the resultant in this case? In other words, how do vectors sum together? You should know this.

cepheid said:
Well, you've found two combinations that work. If the forces are in the same direction, the magnitude of the resultant is just the sum of the magnitudes of the two vectors. Likewise if they're in the exact opposite direction, the magnitude of the resultant is just the difference of their magnitudes. But the more general case is when they are not co-linear, meaning along the same line. I.e. the angle between them is something other than 0 or 180 degrees. How do you find the resultant in this case? In other words, how do vectors sum together? You should know this.

Well, I can add vectors(of force) by finding components, graphing them, or using a force table.

I don't really know how to add vectors that well, but wouldn't there be a 90 degree angle between 6 and 8 to give me 10, since 8^2+6^2 square root= 10.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Crusaderking1 said:
Well, I can add vectors(of force) by finding components, graphing them, or using a force table.

I don't really know how to add vectors that well, but wouldn't there be a 90 degree angle between 6 and 8 to give me 10, since 8^2+6^2 square root= 10.

Yeah. So you figured out the answer to all three cases by trial and error or "guess and check." But the general method for finding the resultant is either to resolve each vector into components and add them component-wise, or to do it graphically by using the "parallelogram rule" for vector sums (which I can only assume you must have learned):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_vector#Addition_and_subtraction

cepheid said:
Yeah. So you figured out the answer to all three cases by trial and error or "guess and check." But the general method for finding the resultant is either to resolve each vector into components and add them component-wise, or to do it graphically by using the "parallelogram rule" for vector sums (which I can only assume you must have learned):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_vector#Addition_and_subtraction

Thanks a lot.

I definitely understand what I'm suppose to do much better.

What are force combinations?

Force combinations refer to the combination of multiple forces acting on an object. These forces can be of different magnitudes and directions, and their combined effect determines the overall motion of the object.

How do you solve force combinations?

To solve force combinations, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their magnitudes and directions. Then, use vector addition to find the resultant force, which is the combination of all the individual forces.

What is the equation for solving force combinations?

The equation for solving force combinations is F = m x a, where F is the resultant force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This equation is based on Newton's Second Law of Motion.

How do you solve for the resultant force using the given forces?

To solve for the resultant force using the given forces, you can use the Pythagorean theorem or the head-to-tail method of vector addition. The Pythagorean theorem is used when the forces are acting at right angles to each other, while the head-to-tail method is used for forces acting at any angle.

What is the significance of the units of force in force combinations?

The units of force, such as N (Newton) or kgm/s^2, are important in force combinations as they represent the magnitude of the force. When adding forces together, the units must also be added to ensure consistency and accuracy in the calculations.