Finding Amplitude and Phase of Complex Functions

In summary, the person is asking for help in finding the amplitude/phase of complex functions, specifically 3+j5t and 3ej4t. They mention that they know how to find the amplitude for complex numbers, but are struggling to remember how to do it for complex functions. They also clarify that the variable t is most likely a real number, possibly representing time.
hogrampage
I can't seem to remember how to find the amplitude/phase of a complex function (I do know what to do for complex numbers, though). I know it's in my mind somewhere, but I just can't remember lol. So, for example, how would I find the amplitude/phase of:

3+j5t

and

3ej4t

EDIT: I know for 3ej4t, the amplitude is 3.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
hogrampage said:
I can't seem to remember how to find the amplitude/phase of a complex function (I do know what to do for complex numbers, though). I know it's in my mind somewhere, but I just can't remember lol. So, for example, how would I find the amplitude/phase of:

3+j5t

and

3ej4t

EDIT: I know for 3ej4t, the amplitude is 3.

Thanks
Those are complex numbers, so where is the issue? I don't even see a function in your post.
t is a variable, so what - just treat it as an unknown number (probably real, especially if t is time).

What is the amplitude of a complex function?

The amplitude of a complex function refers to the maximum value of the function as it oscillates between positive and negative values. It is often represented by the letter "A" and is a measure of the strength of the function's oscillations.

How is the amplitude of a complex function calculated?

The amplitude of a complex function can be calculated by finding the modulus (or absolute value) of the complex number that represents the function. This can be done by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary components of the complex number.

What does the amplitude of a complex function represent?

The amplitude of a complex function represents the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position for a given point on the function. In other words, it shows how far the function deviates from its average value.

Can the amplitude of a complex function be negative?

No, the amplitude of a complex function is always a positive value. This is because it represents the maximum value of the absolute value of the function, which cannot be negative.

How does the amplitude of a complex function relate to its frequency?

The amplitude of a complex function is not directly related to its frequency. However, for certain types of periodic functions, a higher amplitude can indicate a higher frequency. This is because a higher amplitude means the function is oscillating more strongly, which can result in a shorter period between peaks or troughs.