Question regarding rotational measurements

In summary, the conversation discusses measuring the rotation of a pipe using an inclinometer and a protractor. The participants also consider the accuracy and reliability of these devices in different positions and situations.
bravo151515
Hi,

This isn't my field at all so please excuse my ignorance.

Let's say I have a pipe positioned at 30 degrees to the horizontal and an inclinometer attached to the pipe in a vertical position. Now I rotate the pipe some amount about it's long axis. The inclinometer reads 15 (or whatever) degrees of rotation. How would you determine how much the pipe actually rotated?

Thanks. I hope I made myself clear. Let me know if I haven't.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
If you rotated the pipe about it's long axis, then it's actual inclination (to the horizontal) has not changed.
How the inclinometer measures depends on the details of how it is attached - I take it this is a digital inclinometer?

If I am reading this right, the inclinometer is attached in such a way that rotating the pipe does not make a simple rotation of the meter. I'd hazard that the device will measure the component of the rotation in the plane of the meter. If you used a pendulum incinometer, it would be fairly plain.

It is easier to read the rotation of a pipe held at an incline by fitting a collar and/or sleeve - you can make it out of stiff paper - mark the sleeve in degrees, and mark a reference on the pipe. Use a plumb to make sure the 0 mark on the sleeve is "down" (or fix the sleeve to something i.e. the ground.).

Thanks for the reply,
It is a digital inclinometer and it is attached in a vertical position perpedicular to the long axis of the pipe. It appears that the the amount of rotation of the pipe would equal the readout on the inclinometer. However, I was under the impression that this would only be exactly the same if the pipe was horizontal to the ground? Since it is at an angle, would there not be some amount of deviation?

I also have a protractor with a plumb line down that can be attached via a pin through the side of the pipe. Do the 2 devices work on different principles? Would you recommend the protractor over the digital inclinometer?

Thanks again!

The advantage of the protractor is that you can see how it works.
There are lots of ways to measure inclination - you don't have a little protractor in your head to tell how far you are tilted do you? The digital things are black boxes - I don't want to second guess what the manufacturer did: the second I do it will turn out yours is the exception ;)

You can test the accuracy of the inclinometer you use by rotating it a known angle and comparing with the reading. I don't imagine the tilt angle will have much effect on the incline angle the way you are using it.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. In order to determine the actual amount of rotation of the pipe, you would need to know the original position of the inclinometer and the new position after the rotation. This can be achieved by using a reference point or marker on the pipe and measuring the angle between this point and the inclinometer before and after the rotation. This will give you the total change in angle, which can then be subtracted from the initial angle of 30 degrees to determine the actual rotation amount.

It is also important to note that the accuracy of the inclinometer will affect the precision of the measurement. Factors such as the sensitivity and calibration of the instrument should be taken into consideration when determining the actual rotation.

I hope this helps clarify your question. Please let me know if you have any further inquiries. Thank you.

1. What is rotational motion and how is it measured?

Rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around a fixed point. It is measured using angular displacement, which is the change in angle of an object as it rotates around a central axis.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rate at which an object is rotating around a fixed point, while linear velocity measures the rate at which an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. What is the difference between angular acceleration and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration measures the rate at which an object's angular velocity is changing, while linear acceleration measures the rate at which an object's linear velocity is changing. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

4. How are rotational measurements used in real-world applications?

Rotational measurements are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as measuring the speed of rotating machinery, determining the stability of structures like bridges and buildings, and analyzing the motion of celestial bodies like planets and stars.

5. What are some common tools used for measuring rotational motion?

Some common tools used for measuring rotational motion include protractors, rulers, tachometers, and accelerometers. These tools can be used to measure angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration in various settings, from laboratory experiments to industrial settings.