Is there a circuit for charging metals?

In summary: A Tesla transformer is a AC (rf) source.You could use a 12V air ionizer.They consist of a voltage converter like the ones used in photoflash chargers attached to a Cockroft Walton voltage multiplier.
tendor
Without moving macroscopic parts... No van de Graaff generators or piezo-something - just normal circuit that would used a battery at one point and on the other there would be macroscopicly charged electrode. :-)

Engineering news on Phys.org
tendor said:
Without moving macroscopic parts... No van de Graaff generators or piezo-something - just normal circuit that would used a battery at one point and on the other there would be macroscopicly charged electrode. :-)

What voltage do you want to charge to? What is the geometry of the 2 pieces of metal that you want to charge to that voltage difference?

Nothing big, few volts (but as much as could be efficiently squeezed out of it). Well ground and spoon for example... Purpose would be to charge a metal object attached to the electrode.

tendor said:
Nothing big, few volts (but as much as could be efficiently squeezed out of it). Well ground and spoon for example... Purpose would be to charge a metal object attached to the electrode.

You can just use a battery or power supply. if you connect the + lead of a 9V battery to the spoon, and the - lead to the ground, you've charged the spoon up to 9V with respect to the ground.

What is the application that you have in mind?

Well yes, sorry I didn't rule this out from the start. I had in mind something little bit more stockpiling, so let's take it to as high voltages as possible (until it starts leak out too quickly by ionization of its surroundings).

I will probably disappoint you but I just want efficient way for macroscopic charging for further experiments.

You would need a very high voltage in order to charge any 'common' object appreciably (they have Low Capacitance). If you want to store large amounts of charge at low voltages, you need a capacitor (A structure with two 'plates' of large area and separated by a very small distance).
But high voltages (and even humble capacitors) can be very dangerous for the uninitiated. Be careful.

I remember all that from electrodynamics courses, the engineering point is difficulty here, I think I've never heard of electrostatic generator completely without mechanical parts.

tendor said:
Well yes, sorry I didn't rule this out from the start. I had in mind something little bit more stockpiling, so let's take it to as high voltages as possible (until it starts leak out too quickly by ionization of its surroundings).

I will probably disappoint you but I just want efficient way for macroscopic charging for further experiments.

tendor said:
I remember all that from electrodynamics courses, the engineering point is difficulty here, I think I've never heard of electrostatic generator completely without mechanical parts.

How do you think a traditional CRT charges the face of the display to several 10s of kV?

I'm not sure we want to be teaching you how to charge things to high voltages if your understanding of electricity and electrical safety is not very great yet...

not sure what you want to accomplish..

There exists a standard for testing carpet's electrostatic behavior

'don a pair of shoes with soles made from chrome tanned leather, take ( i don't recall how many steps of what length, but around ten feet) and touch an electrostatic voltmeter'...

In a humid place like S Florida it doesn't work well, but in Idaho winters it's quite an effective demonstration.

berkeman said:
How do you think a traditional CRT charges the face of the display to several 10s of kV?

I'm not sure we want to be teaching you how to charge things to high voltages if your understanding of electricity and electrical safety is not very great yet...

High voltage transformer and vacuum tube, long time ago. Ok that could work, but it's a bit violent for my taste.

If I planed to kill myself with my own stupidity, it wouldn't be your fault, but don't worry at this point I'm here just to bounce of ideas (or gain them would be more precise right now).

A tesla coil?

meBigGuy said:
A tesla coil?

A Tesla transformer is a AC (rf) source.

You could use a 12V air ionizer.
They consist of a voltage converter like the ones used in photoflash chargers attached to a Cockroft Walton voltage multiplier.
Or an electric fly swatter, they work in the same way but with lower voltage.

1. What is a circuit for charging metals?

A circuit for charging metals is a type of electrical circuit that is specifically designed to charge metal objects. This can be done through the use of a power source, such as a battery, and various components such as resistors and capacitors.

2. How does a circuit for charging metals work?

A circuit for charging metals works by creating a flow of electricity from a power source, through the circuit components, and into the metal object. This flow of electricity causes the metal object to become charged, similar to how a battery charges a phone or other device.

3. What types of metals can be charged using a circuit?

Most metals can be charged using a circuit, as long as they have some level of conductivity. This includes common metals such as copper, aluminum, and iron. However, some metals may require a higher voltage or specific circuit components to be effectively charged.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with a circuit for charging metals?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when working with a circuit for charging metals. First, make sure to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses. Also, be careful not to touch any exposed wires or components while the circuit is active. Additionally, always follow proper electrical safety procedures when working with any type of circuit.

5. Can a circuit for charging metals be used for other purposes?

Yes, a circuit for charging metals can also be used for other purposes besides charging. For example, it can be used to create an electromagnetic field, which can be used in various applications such as metal detection or lifting magnetic objects. It can also be used in experiments to study the behavior of electricity in different materials.