Building a High-Powered Solenoid: Considerations and Challenges

In summary, the person wants to build a solenoid and has questions about how to build it, what materials are good, and how to power it.
Bern123
I need to project a solenoid. But i have some questions:
- How much need to be thick enamelled copper? How i can calculate the thickness necessary? (to not burn solenoid wire)
- Will be good enamelled alluminium too?
This if i suppose to power it with 10A, 2000turns.
And:
- How i can power the coil?(where i can find or build a generator to give me 10A costant current?)
- How i can build a generator(or multiple generators) to power multiple solenoids with this high current?
- Where i can find or buy a good plunger, it need to be magnetic or metal(what type of metal)? With full core?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Also:
- How much frame influence the magnetic flux? I need to connect it to ground or an end wire of the coil?

Permalloy is a good material to have a high speed(50-100hz) and high force(10N-40N)?

Last edited:
Why do you want to build a solenoid?

10 A is well in the range of commercial power supplies, assuming your coil resistance is reasonable (that will influce your thermal load as well). Why 10 A?

Bern123 said:
The price of commercial solenoid is too high, and i need to build a lot of it(15-20) with different powers.
To do what?

A project, i need to move weights of 150 g within 50ms at 20hz. I need something like how to start project a solenoid, from specifics i need of solenoid to better wire type to power it. What i find is only solenoid physics theory but it is useless if i want to built one.

1. What is a solenoid and how does it work?

A solenoid is a long, cylindrical coil of wire with a current running through it. It creates a magnetic field when an electric current passes through it, which can be used to move or control objects within the field. It works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy.

2. What is the purpose of building a solenoid?

The purpose of building a solenoid is to harness the power of electromagnetism for various applications such as in electronic devices, automotive systems, and industrial machinery. It can also be used in scientific experiments and research.

3. What are the key components needed to build a solenoid?

The key components needed to build a solenoid include a cylindrical coil of wire, a power source, a switch to control the current flow, and a core material (typically iron or steel) to enhance the magnetic field.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a solenoid?

When designing a solenoid, factors such as the desired strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the coil, the type of core material, and the amount of current needed must be taken into consideration. The application and intended use of the solenoid should also be considered.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when working with a solenoid?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when working with a solenoid. It is important to handle the power source and electrical components with care, as well as to avoid overheating the solenoid. It is also important to disconnect the power source before making any adjustments or repairs to the solenoid.