by howabout1337
Tags: mars, planting, start, trees
Share this thread:
Chronos
Jul12-14, 09:07 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,484
Growing algae on mars would be feasible. Water is not abundant, but, believed to be sufficient to support a colony. It is, in fact, believed there is enough water on the moon to support a colony. And the moon has a much harsher environment than mars.
howabout1337
Jul13-14, 02:04 PM
P: 23
I recently read that in about 20 years, we are expected to have people on mars. What's the probability on the success of that prospect?
phinds
Jul13-14, 02:33 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,485
Quote Quote by howabout1337 View Post
I recently read that in about 20 years, we are expected to have people on mars. What's the probability on the success of that prospect?
I'd put the chances of people landing on Mars and getting back to Earth in the next 20 years at near zero and the chances of a permanent colony with in 20 years at infinitesimal.
howabout1337
Jul13-14, 06:54 PM
P: 23
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
I'd put the chances of people landing on Mars and getting back to Earth in the next 20 years at near zero and the chances of a permanent colony with in 20 years at infinitesimal.
I thought the same thing too. Maybe as great a chance that it would occur out of random moving molecules that comes together and form a human colony on mars. I wish we'd put aside politics and spend more on science.
phinds
Jul13-14, 07:08 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,485
Quote Quote by howabout1337 View Post
I thought the same thing too. Maybe as great a chance that it would occur out of random moving molecules that comes together and form a human colony on mars. I wish we'd put aside politics and spend more on science.
Even if we spent more on science, I'm convinced that a Mars colony would be a terrible waste of money until our technology has progressed further by what's likely to be a good many more years.

Register to reply