Finding n for Arc Length of $\pi+e$ over Interval 0 to 6

In summary, the conversation was about solving the equation \int^{6}_{0} \sqrt{1-n^2x^2}dx=\pi+e for the value of n. The integral was evaluated and an equation was obtained to solve for n. It was mentioned that there may not be an analytical solution and a numerical approximation may be necessary. One person provided a numerical approximation of n \approx {10000 \over 16201}.
Trepidation
[tex]\int^{6}_{0} \sqrt{1-n^2x^2}dx=\pi+e[/tex]

I need to solve this for n. I believe there should only be one possible function of the form [tex]y=x^n[/tex] that gives an arclength of [tex]\pi+e[/tex] over the interval x=0 to x=6, and wish to find the value of n that such a function must have.
Does anyone know how to do this? I haven't the slightest idea, as I only know as much calculus as I've managed to teach myself over the past few months... Thank you!

Ah, additionally, I'm assuming (as I, regrettably, read somewhere) that

[tex]\int^{b}_{a} \sqrt{1-[f'(x)]^2}dx[/tex]

is equal to arclength (actually, I didn't just accept it completely--I lack the mathematics to evaluate whether or not it actually is such a formula, but my TI-89 is capable of calculating for whatever values I plug in so... They have thus far matched up perfectly with the values produced by the method I came up with myself:)

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\sum^{\frac{m}{x}-1}_{n=0}\sqrt{x^2+(f(x(n+1))-f(nx))^2}[/tex]

Anyway, again, thank you.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well the integral is well-known, you'll get an arcsin and square root part so evaluating the integral isn't really a problem. I doubt though that you'll be able to solve for n analytically, after that - unless a numerical approximation would satisfy you.

Thank you, TD... Mm... Why not, and how would you get a numerical approximation?

The easy way, of course, would be relying on a computer program. I tried it with Mathematica.

Integration yields

[tex]\int\limits_0^6 {\sqrt {1 - n^2 x^2 } dx} = 3\sqrt {1 - 36n^2 } + \frac{{\arcsin \left( {6n} \right)}}
{{2n}}[/tex]

So what you want to solve for n is

[tex]3\sqrt {1 - 36n^2 } + \frac{{\arcsin \left( {6n} \right)}}
{{2n}} = e + \pi[/tex]

Last edited:
This is an interesting problem. I found that n is approx. 1000/16201, but I haven't found an elegant solution for n.

I refined my solution to:

[tex]n \approx {10000000 \over 162011025}[/tex]

1. What is the formula for finding the arc length of $\pi+e$ over the interval 0 to 6?

The formula for finding the arc length of $\pi+e$ over the interval 0 to 6 is given by L = $\int_{0}^{6}\sqrt{1+(\frac{d}{dx}(\pi+e))^2}dx$, where d/dx represents the derivative of the function $\pi+e$.

2. How do you calculate the derivative of the function $\pi+e$?

The derivative of the function $\pi+e$ is calculated by taking the derivative of each individual term, which gives us d/dx($\pi+e$) = d/dx($\pi$) + d/dx($e$) = 0 + 1 = 1.

3. What is the significance of the interval 0 to 6 in this problem?

The interval 0 to 6 represents the range over which we are finding the arc length. In this case, we are finding the arc length of the function $\pi+e$ from the point x = 0 to x = 6.

4. How do you solve the integral in the formula for finding the arc length?

To solve the integral, you can use any appropriate integration technique such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. The goal is to simplify the integrand and then evaluate the integral using the limits of integration 0 and 6.

5. Can this formula be applied to any function or is it specific to $\pi+e$?

This formula can be applied to any function, as long as the function is continuous and differentiable over the given interval. The formula is not specific to $\pi+e$ and can be used to find the arc length of any curve over a given interval.