AMC Loews Lincoln Square 12: Theater Pulls "United 93" Trailer

• Thread starter TheStatutoryApe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trailer
In summary, the theater manager of an AMC theater in New York City has pulled the trailer for "United 93" because some viewers found it too upsetting. The trailer is a dramatization of the hijacking of United Airlines Flight 93, which crashed into a Western Pennsylvania field on September 11, 2001.
TheStatutoryApe
'United 93' Trailer...

I really wonder about people here sometimes...

Theater Pulls Trailer for 'United 93'
Tuesday April 4 10:46 AM ET

A New York City movie theater has pulled the trailer for "United 93," which chronicles in real time the hijacked United Airlines flight that crashed into a Western Pennsylvania field on Sept. 11.

The AMC Loews Lincoln Square 12 theater in Manhattan said it made the decision after viewers complained they found it too upsetting.

"I don't think people are ready for this," theater manager Kevin Adjodha said.

"One lady was crying," Adjodha told Newsweek. "She was saying that we shouldn't have played the trailer. That this was wrong."

--edit--
forgot the link...
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20060404/114417276000.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get it :confused:

yomamma said:
I don't get it :confused:
Don't get what?

Why it was so upsetting. it seems very melodramatic...it's just a trailer

yomamma said:
Why it was so upsetting. it seems very melodramatic...it's just a trailer
Because Americans don't make sense.
We live in a world that commercializes everything and then get offended when someone commercializes one of the few things we find sacred.

okay it makes (or doesn't) sense...

still WTF

Let's just say I am very tempted to go on a rant about people like her.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Let's just say I am very tempted to go on a rant about people like her.

go for it...

Let's not and say we did.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Let's not and say we did.

pansy...

TheStatutoryApe said:
Because Americans don't make sense.
We live in a world that commercializes everything and then get offended when someone commercializes one of the few things we find sacred.

Not all of us like that everything gets commercialized. In fact, some of us despise it. As well as despising those that love running with it so much.

That said, I think this movie, might be a good thing, if properly done. Even just the trailer brought me almost to tears, thinking about what happened that day, what those people went through and did. I can understand why the woman was upset, but I don't think the point in making the movie was to commercialize anything. That was not my impression at least.

I find commercials for the Christian Children's Fund equally disturbing.

Since 911, roughly 90,000 Americans have died in auto accidents - that's about 30 WTC disasters. I don't see anyone complaining about movies showing auto accidents.

The point is that I think people make far too much of this. It was a shock and horror to be sure, but in the grand scheme, life goes on. And I have no doubt that we will be watching 911 movies for the rest of my life. Don't like it? That's easy: Don't watch.

Comparing a bunch of cell phone loving SUV drivers to slamming airplanes into 2 skyscrapers and causing them to while simultaneously attacking a countries military headquarters is a bit off-base.

It's like saying "Why complain about surveillance/civil liberty violations when there's no such thing as privacy in so and so country".

I'm not sure where i stand on this however. When you think about this line that must be crossed when you decide to make a movie like this... i start to wonder what does this "line" really mean. I was thinking about how you can compare it to world war 2. What does it mean to cross that line? Does it mean that we've all gone on withour lives since WW2 (or well, this is more applicable when the majority of the population actually lived during WW2) and we're ready to "live again" or does it mean we've all become disconnected from the events that happened.

I wonder if it's possible to still feel a connection to an event yet be able to "get on with your life" by allowing such movies to be made. Then again maybe it's just how humans are, we forget such destructive events so that we don't feel obligated to feel any guilt. Maybe that's a good thing since it would be pretty damn hard for anyoen to get on with their life if they had to feel any connection towards what happens all around them and in mankind's past. Then again maybe I'm rambling...

[dons psycho-babble hat]It could, possibly, be that people like the woman in the theaters, haven't dealt with the whole aspect of that event yet. Then, seeing that trailer, larger than life forced them to deal with it before they were ready [/takes off hat].

at least it wasnt from the makers of '24'

cronxeh said:
at least it wasnt from the makers of '24'
What's wrong with 24? I happen to find that it has far more common sense in it then pretty much any show on TV.

Ivan Seeking said:

Since 911, roughly 90,000 Americans have died in auto accidents - that's about 30 WTC disasters. I don't see anyone complaining about movies showing auto accidents.

The point is that I think people make far too much of this. It was a shock and horror to be sure, but in the grand scheme, life goes on. And I have no doubt that we will be watching 911 movies for the rest of my life. Don't like it? That's easy: Don't watch.
Yes Ivan, the intentional murder of over 2,000 civilians isn't a big deal at all. Life goes on.

We need code for sarcasim, a LaTex of sorts, with varying degrees of intensity for the level of sarcasim. At least that way it would guarantee no confusion: I thought for a second there you were serious franznietzsche, you had me worried.

Franz,

While it was a tragic event, and one should always remember and respect what happened, but you do have to move on with your life at some point. It amazes me that people still worry over 9-11 years afterwards. I live in DC, the attacks happened in very close proximity to me. I don't see most people here acting like that. I had a sniper running around shooting people in my neighborhood. No one cried out when they made a movie about that. Life goes on. I guess I'll never understand how some people worry themselves to death.

Franz said:
Not all of us like that everything gets commercialized. In fact, some of us despise it. As well as despising those that love running with it so much.
I know that not everyone is ok with it but generally most people are quite ok with it until it hits a specific nerve for them.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Franz,

While it was a tragic event, and one should always remember and respect what happened, but you do have to move on with your life at some point. It amazes me that people still worry over 9-11 years afterwards. I live in DC, the attacks happened in very close proximity to me. I don't see most people here acting like that. I had a sniper running around shooting people in my neighborhood. No one cried out when they made a movie about that. Life goes on. I guess I'll never understand how some people worry themselves to death.
I also said that I thought the movie could be a good thing. I have no problem with it. You should respond to what I actually say. My problem was with Ivan's post that the murder of so many civilians is something that can just be brushed over. I imagine he would mock the people who still cry at memorial in Oklahoma city. After all, that was just a couple hundred right? Whats a few hundred people to anyone?

Ivan Seeking said:
:approve:
Ivan seeking said:

It's ture that more americans have died in car acciedents then the WTC.But the cars don't want to kill eveone.The 911 atacks was caused by terroist who didn't just to kill those people in the WTC but eveone who lives in the U.S.

franznietzsche said:
I also said that I thought the movie could be a good thing. I have no problem with it. You should respond to what I actually say. My problem was with Ivan's post that the murder of so many civilians is something that can just be brushed over. I imagine he would mock the people who still cry at memorial in Oklahoma city. After all, that was just a couple hundred right? Whats a few hundred people to anyone?

You are right franz. I glanced over what you wrote too quickly, sorry. I won't comment on what Ivan said, he can do that for himself, as I did not say that.

What is the controversy surrounding the "United 93" trailer being pulled from AMC Loews Lincoln Square 12?

The controversy surrounding the "United 93" trailer being pulled from AMC Loews Lincoln Square 12 is due to the sensitive nature of the film's subject matter, which is the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Many people believe that the trailer is too graphic and traumatizing for moviegoers, while others argue that it accurately portrays the events and should be shown.

Why did AMC Loews Lincoln Square 12 decide to pull the "United 93" trailer?

AMC Loews Lincoln Square 12 decided to pull the "United 93" trailer due to complaints from customers and concerns about the graphic nature of the trailer. The theater also wanted to be respectful to those who were directly affected by the 9/11 attacks.

Is pulling the "United 93" trailer a form of censorship?

Many people view pulling the "United 93" trailer as a form of censorship, as it restricts the film's promotion and potential audience. However, others argue that it is not censorship, but rather a decision made by the theater to be considerate of the sensitivities of their customers.

Will the "United 93" trailer be shown in other theaters?

Yes, the "United 93" trailer will still be shown in other theaters, as it is up to each individual theater's discretion whether or not to show it. Some theaters may choose to show the trailer, while others may also decide to pull it.

What impact does pulling the "United 93" trailer have on the film's release?

Pulling the "United 93" trailer may have a small impact on the film's release, as the trailer serves as a marketing tool to attract audiences. However, the film itself will still be released and shown in theaters, and it is ultimately up to the viewers to decide whether or not to watch it.