Purpose of Beliefs: A Discussion w/Friend

• Thread starter Gibson
  • Start date
In summary: Help others experience this... - this is what Christianity is all about. Show him the example of Jesus who died on the cross for everyone's sins. Ask him how he could forgive people for things that they don't even know they did. In summary, In Christianity, the main purpose is to create a bond with the Creator of the Universe, not go to hell, and help others experience this.
Gibson
I had a discussion with a friend of mine today, and I'd like some imput on what to think here?

I had told him something I beleived for a long time now, that it isn't the parents descicion to conceive a child, but the childs descicion to be conceived. Everything is one, connected in some way that we don't understand, and that the an unconscious and non-physical choice would be made to experience life. Now, he is a christian, and said that the purpose of him beleiving in Christianity is to 1. Create a bond with the Creator of the Universe 2. Not go to hell 3. Help others experience this.. he asked me this question, what is the purpose on my beleif.. and I have no idea.. Why do I think this if I have no reason to think it? Is this something beyond explanation? Or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, creating life is wrong. Don't have kids. It's a sin. Life is sin. Life is suffering. Life is a gift that is taken away from everyone, so it's not really a gift, it's a loan.

The only purpose of life is to survive as long as possible. Secondary purposes are to be happy through drugs, sex, materialism, music, comedy, murder, power, ect. . . whatever turns your crank.

What is the purpose?

That it is possible to be right despite any belief.

A' Priori after lots of a' posteriori.

jimmie said:
That it is possible to be right despite any belief
:confused: It is "right" to kill for any belief ?

Gibson said:
I had a discussion with a friend of mine today, and I'd like some imput on what to think here?I had told him something I beleived for a long time now, that it isn't the parents descicion to conceive a child, but the childs descicion to be conceived. Everything is one, connected in some way that we don't understand, and that the an unconscious and non-physical choice would be made to experience life. Now, he is a christian, and said that the purpose of him beleiving in Christianity is to 1. Create a bond with the Creator of the Universe 2. Not go to hell 3. Help others experience this.. he asked me this question, what is the purpose on my beleif.. and I have no idea.. Why do I think this if I have no reason to think it? Is this something beyond explanation? Or what?
Are you saying you do not believe in Christianity ? If yes, are you asking for advise why it is valid not to accept Christianity as the "purpose" of how you live your life ? These are very personal questions, please do not respond unless you want to continue what will result in a personal dialog with others.

Gibson said:
I had a discussion with a friend of mine today, and I'd like some imput on what to think here?

I had told him something I beleived for a long time now, that it isn't the parents descicion to conceive a child, but the childs descicion to be conceived. Everything is one, connected in some way that we don't understand, and that the an unconscious and non-physical choice would be made to experience life. Now, he is a christian, and said that the purpose of him beleiving in Christianity is to 1. Create a bond with the Creator of the Universe 2. Not go to hell 3. Help others experience this.. he asked me this question, what is the purpose on my beleif.. and I have no idea.. Why do I think this if I have no reason to think it? Is this something beyond explanation? Or what?

Hmm, He asked you what's the purpose of your believe and you couldn't answer. I think It happened so because you used a wrong word. You shouldn't say I believe if you had a strong proof, but I think... Can you have a faith in ideas? Can you say that this idea is good, but you don't know why? Try to study the Bible. You could easily catch your friend in a web.

1. Create a bond with the Creator of the Universe - ask him how this bond between him and the Creator looks like. Show him that you are bonded with God from the day of being born without getting a baptism. Show him that God doesn't have limits and universe is a part of God and so are you.

2. Not go to hell - Bible says that God loves everyone. God doesn't want bad for you, only good. God loves you even if you're an atheist, you stand against God. God's love is the same for every atheist and the most faithful Christian. God is merciful. Ask him, why would God want you to go to hell? Why does he want to take a revenge? It's against the Bible teachings, isn't it? And lastly ask him this specific question, if God gets to choose whether you go to hell, or you don't receive a gift of eternal life, which one do you think God would probably choose? Why?

3. Help others experience this - What does he want others to experience?

It's all what I think. Don't take it word by word because I maybe wrong. Anyway think why

Thanks,

Gibson said:

There is no inherent purpose in any idea or thought that we get. That is, your idea didn't come to you in order to fulfil a certain purpose. It's up to you, and whoever else wants to, to formulate a purpose for it. Your friend doesn't have that problem. The purposes for his beliefs were neatly laid out long ago.

I can't agree with your idea, but if you think it's valid and should have a purpose, then you'll have to figure it out.

You might want to think "process" rather than purpose.

As far as it being the child's decision and not the parents, I'll take it two steps farther.

What if it's both of their decisions, but they're not actually the ones making the decsion?

What if "free will" means something more subtle, than it appears to mean?

1. What is the purpose of beliefs?

The purpose of beliefs is to provide a framework for understanding and interpreting the world around us. They guide our thoughts, actions, and decisions, and can give our lives meaning and direction.

2. How do beliefs develop?

Beliefs develop through a combination of personal experiences, cultural influences, and social interactions. They can also be influenced by education, religion, and other external factors.

3. Can beliefs change over time?

Yes, beliefs can change over time as we encounter new information and experiences. Our beliefs can also be influenced by critical thinking, introspection, and open-mindedness.

4. What role do beliefs play in our lives?

Beliefs play a significant role in shaping our thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. They can also impact our relationships, choices, and overall well-being.

5. How do beliefs differ from facts?

Beliefs are subjective and based on personal interpretation, while facts are objective and based on evidence. Beliefs can also change, while facts remain constant. However, our beliefs can influence how we perceive and interpret facts.